Vivek Oberoi deletes Aishwarya Rai meme, says ‘can’t even think of being disrespectful to any woman’
Actor Vivek Oberoi has deleted a meme featuring Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, Salman Khan and Abhishek Bachchan about exit polls and has apologised for posting it. Vivek had earlier said he sees nothing offensive about the meme, which was seen as “crass and distasteful”.
“Sometimes what appears to be funny and harmless at first glance to one, may not be so to others. I have spent the last 10 years empowering more than 2000 underprivileged girls, I cant even think of being disrespectful to any woman ever,” he wrote as an apology, adding, “Even if one woman is offended by my reply to the meme, it calls for remedial action. Apologies, tweet deleted.”
Vivek, who reportedly dated Aishwarya in the early 2000s, posted a meme with three panels, one with him, another with Salman Khan and a third with her husband Abhishek and daughter Aaradhya on Twitter.
“Disgusting and classless,” actor Sonam Kapoor reacted to the meme while actor-turned-politician Urmila Matondkar said, “Very disgraceful and in extreme bad taste of #VivekOberoi to put up such a disrespectful post. At least show the decency to pull off the post if not apologise to the lady and her little girl.”
The National Commission of Women had also condemned the meme as “misogynistic”, demanding a response from Vivek. “I would want to meet the Women’s Commission... I have been working on women empowerment since the past 10 years, and I don’t just talk about it on social media... I am very careful as far as respect for women is concerned. I personally feel that there’s no disrespect (in what happened). I would meet the Women’s Commission and if they explain to me what is wrong in it, I would apologise,” Vivek told the media on Monday night.
The meme was originally shared by someone else on Twitter, but Vivek picked it up, writing, “Haha! Creative! No politics here just life!”
Explaining his post, he said: “Someone sent me a meme, I laughed at it and gave a response. It doesn’t have bad words, it has nothing abusive, no sensational photo... It has a beautiful family photograph of Aishwarya, Aaradhya and Abhishek together, and they are happy... May God give them lots of happiness.”
Vivek will be seen in PM Narendra Modi, a biopic on the life of the Prime Minister, on May 24.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Shah Rukh Khan's daughter, Suhana Khan, has shared a new picture on Instagram Stories, showing off her necklace collection.
- Sushant Singh Rajput's niece, Mallika Singh, shared precious memories with him on his birth anniversary. She said that she misses him ‘more than (he) can ever imagine’.
- Mira Rajput has shared new pictures from her Goa vacation with Shahid Kapoor. See her latest posts here.
- Kangana Ranaut criticised Twitter after a representative justified temporary restriction of her account, citing her now-deleted anti-Tandav tweet.
- Anil Kapoor was sceptical about playing Priyanka Chopra's father in Dil Dhadakne Do, as they were offered films as a romantic pair in the past. His son, Harsh Varrdhan Kapoor, convinced him to take up the role.
- Actor Tiger Shroff's sister, Krishna, has shared a special post on her 28th birthday, and Disha Patani is in awe. Check it out here.
- Actor Arjun Rampal has shared a new video with his son, Arik. His partner, Gabriella Demetriades, loves it.
- Varun Dhawan evaded commenting on his upcoming wedding with Natasha Dalal in Alibaug when photographers congratulated him. Watch the video here.
- Renuka Shahane, whose parents separated when she was eight years old, was ostracised by other children because she came from a 'broken family'.
- Late actor Sushant Singh Rajput's last co-star, Sanjana Sanghi, has paid tribute to him on his birth anniversary on Thursday.
- Sushant Singh Rajput's sister Priyanka Singh paid an emotional tribute to him on his birth anniversary. She appealed to him to respond as the 'eventuality of (his) silence is too loud to bear'.
- Actor Swara Bhasker has said that it is advisable to have a plan B in place before aspiring actors attempt to realise their Bollywood dreams.
- Kajol revealed why she found herself 'attractive' and even 'sexy', but never 'beautiful'. It took her many years to associate that adjective with herself.