Why Cheat India movie review: Emraan Hashmi yawns through a boring film
Why Cheat India
Cast: Emraan Hashmi, Shreya Dhanwanthary
Director: Soumik Sen
The ‘Why’ is existential. India cheats. It may even be the one thing we’re good at as a people, the spirit of jugaad that ties us together and keeps this makeshift raft above water. It is hard not to be awestruck by artful dodgers, with the foresight and gall to wheedle their way through life on an impressive, unprecedented scale.
Watch Why Cheat India movie trailer here
Soumik Sen’s Why Cheat India is based on such a man, one who trumps the daunting entrance examination gateways by sending well-prepared students to answer papers for wealthy aspirants. The actor chosen for this cocky, audacious operation is ideal: the eternally amoral Emraan Hashmi.
Hashmi appears to be stifling a yawn. Apparently based on a real conman, the film travels the country to show us students diligent and debauched, but never finds momentum. The writing is flat. The wheeze is ingenious enough to fill a great film, but Sen revels in obvious filmy cliché. There is no other way to explain the film’s mastermind Rakesh Singh (urf Rocky) announcing his entry with a fight scene.
‘10 kisses in my first film to 1 now - I’ve progressed’: Emraan Hashmi
Hashmi plays Rakesh, and he’s sitting in a movie theatre to watch the 1997 film Gupt. He beats up a bunch of bullies and, before leaving the theatre, tells them a climactic spoiler that would ruin their experience of the whodunnit. This scene could work wonderfully well without the fight, demonstrating a sly, canny protagonist who knows how to strike where it hurts. Now the joke feels like a tacked-on end to a generic scene.
The film tries to appear funny without being smart. There is a running gag about the actress playing Hashmi’s relentlessly talkative wife, but the joke is not in what she actually says, just the fact that she talks a lot. There are self-contradicting old-school characters, like an inspector who sits at a police station writing FIRs but announces himself as a member of the Special Branch, but there isn’t a single memorable line.
The actors are fine, especially some wonderfully unfamiliar old men, but the film doesn’t use them right. I wish debutant Shreya Dhanwanthary — so entertaining in the web-series Ladies Room — was given more to do than make smitten eyes. The film pretends to give her a pivotal role, but never lets her be proactive.
‘Greed is good,’ Hashmi spits the line from Oliver Stone’s classic Wall Street, missing the point of how that film applauded the smoothness of the operator. Why Cheat India moralises without taking a stand. The film has three endings, indecisively shown one after the other — one of which uses a refrain to Hum Honge Kamyaab as an afterthought, pasting it on immediately after another song, diluting any potential impact. This movie doesn’t appreciate trick or trickster. It takes craft to be crafty.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Sunny Leone, in a new video shared on Instagram, gave a glimpse into her journey from being boycotted at awards shows and facing criticism to professional success and personal happiness.
- Madhuri Dixit took to social media to wish her son Ryan as he turned 16. She also posted pictures of other family members on the occasion.
- Ananya Panday took to social media to share pictures of her grandmothers and celebrated them on the occasion of International Women's Day.
- Amitabh Bachchan took to social media to wish all his fans on International Women's Day. He also said everyday was Women's Day, in his eyes.
Women’s Day Special | Ekta Kapoor, Guneet Monga and Tahira Kashyap Khurrana: We just want to create better opportunities for women
Bobby Deol: Have never given importance to awards, my father’s been a legend, didn’t get a single Best Actor award
Anupria Goenka: There are many stereotypes attached to women even today in our workplace, pay disparity being one
- Saif Ali Khan's sister Saba on Sunday shared a cute and never-seen-before picture of Taimur Ali Khan. See it here.
- Alia Bhatt is already in birthday spirits. She took to Instagram and revealed she has received a bunch of gifts from director Shashank Khaitan.
- Taapsee Pannu was recently in the news for the I-T raids carried out at her property in Mumbai. The actor has now revealed how her family had reacted to the searches.