Denied booze, youth sets self on fire, in hospital
Refused money for alcohol, a 25-year-old unemployed youth set himself on fire in his house in Sector 46 in Chandigarh.Updated: Feb 05, 2009 00:47 IST
Refused money for alcohol, a 25-year-old unemployed youth on Tuesday set himself on fire in his house in Sector 46 in Chandigarh.
Yogesh Kumar, an alcoholic, is battling for life at Government Medical College and Hospital (GMCH) in Sector 32 with 80 per cent burns.
Police said Yogesh had been drinking since morning at his house. When he ran out of liquor, he demanded money from his parents. They declined, saying they could not pay for his drinking habit. Yogesh went into the bathroom, sprinkled kerosene over himself and lit a matchstick.
His parents were watching television, which drowned out his cries. It was only when neighbours noticed smoke emanating from the room, the parents rushed to him. Kumar was earlier working with a printing press and had left the job a year ago.
Sector 34 SHO Sudharshan Thakur said that the police would take action after recording his statement.
First Published: Feb 05, 2009 00:44 IST