15 schools in Bengaluru receive bomb threat emails; Students evacuated | Bengaluru - Hindustan Times
close_game
close_game

15 schools in Bengaluru receive bomb threat emails; Students evacuated

Dec 01, 2023 12:47 PM IST

The city police suspect that the emails are a hoax, however they are conducting a probe to rule out all possibilities.

As many as 15 schools in Karnataka capital Bengaluru have received bomb threat emails on Friday morning, leading to a panic situation amongst authorities, students, parents and staff. The city police suspect that the emails are a hoax, however they are conducting a probe to rule out all possibilities, news agency PTI reported.

Karnataka Deputy Chief Minister D K Shivakumar visited a school in Bengaluru after it received a threatening e-mail. (HT Photo/Vipin Kumar/Representative image)
Karnataka Deputy Chief Minister D K Shivakumar visited a school in Bengaluru after it received a threatening e-mail. (HT Photo/Vipin Kumar/Representative image)

Authorities including the bomb squad department are combing through the premises of these schools to spot and retrieve any suspicious items. Cops have also evacuated students and staff from the schools as a precautionary measure and many schools have instructed parents to come and pick up their children early.

Hindustan Times - your fastest source for breaking news! Read now.

ALSO READ | Hoax bomb threat at TCS Bengaluru campus causes panic among employees: Report

A senior police official spoke to media and said, “The email claimed that explosives had been planted on school premises. We received a call from the command centre and immediately rushed our teams to schools which are located in different parts of the city. All students and staff have been safely evacuated from the school premises and a thorough search operation is being carried out. So far, nothing suspicious has been found yet and prima facie looks like it's a hoax message. Parents need not panic, our teams are on the ground.”

Karnataka Home Minister Dr G Parameshwara also spoke on the situation, saying, “At present, we have received information about 15 schools where threatening e-mails have been received, last year also such threats were received. We cannot take any risk, we are inspecting the schools and are taking all precautionary measures in schools. We will take strict action against those who are making threatening calls. We are looking into all aspects.”

ALSO READ | Kochi-Bengaluru flight receives bomb threat, passengers offloaded

“Police will investigate, and I have directed them to do so. Security measures have been taken, and parents need not panic. I have instructed the police to inspect the schools and enhance security. A preliminary report has been received from the police department,” Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah told ANI.

Karnataka Deputy Chief Minister D K Shivakumar also visited a school in Bengaluru after it received a threatening e-mail. "I was watching TV, the school opposite to my house also got a threat mail. I came here to check. Till now it seems like a threat call. But we have to be very cautious about it," he said.

Several schools in the tech hub have received similar hoax calls and messages last year as well, with the city's National Public School receiving a bomb threat in January this year.

(With inputs from PTI, ANI)

SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Share this article
SHARE
Story Saved
Live Score
OPEN APP
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Thursday, February 29, 2024
Start 14 Days Free Trial Subscribe Now
Follow Us On