Sign in

Manimahesh Yatra suspended till August 25, rains disrupt normal life in Himachal

DC says pilgrimage would resume on August 26 subject to favourable weather and route conditions and he appealed to the pilgrims to cooperate with the administration and prioritise their own safety

Published on: Aug 23, 2026, 22:55:22 IST
By , Shimla
Share
Share via
  • facebook
  • twitter
  • linkedin
  • whatsapp
Copy link
  • copy link

Prioritising the safety of pilgrims undertaking the Manimahesh Yatra, the district administration has decided to suspend the pilgrimage till Tuesday (August 25) considering the condition of the pilgrimage route affected by heavy rains.

A large section of the Mandi-Pathankot highway sank after heavy rainfall near Mandi on Sunday. The road was closed for heavy vehicles. (Birbal Sharma/HT)
A large section of the Mandi-Pathankot highway sank after heavy rainfall near Mandi on Sunday. The road was closed for heavy vehicles. (Birbal Sharma/HT)

Deputy commissioner Mukesh Repaswal stated that the section of the pilgrimage route near ‘Tos ka Goth,’ which was damaged due to heavy rainfall, is currently being repaired. The yatra will formally conclude on September 19, coinciding with Radhashtami.

The yatra is an annual fortnight-long pilgrimage to the glacier-fed Manimahesh Lake in Bharmour subdivision of Chamba district. Devotees trek to the lake to offer prayers and catch a glimpse of Mount Kailash, regarded as the abode of Lord Shiva. Starting from Hadsar in Chamba district, the 14-km uphill trek is considered as challenging as the Amarnath Yatra.

“The decision has been taken as a precautionary measure to ensure the safety of devotees travelling to the holy Manimahesh Lake,” he added.

The DC said that the yatra will remain suspended till August 25 to ensure the safety and convenience of the pilgrims. He urged pilgrims to avoid visiting the route during this period and to adhere to the guidelines issued by the administration.

The district administration has taken this decision drawing lessons from the devastating flash-floods of last year, which triggered one of the largest rescue operations in the history of the Manimahesh Yatra.

The Chamba administration has introduced a number of safety measures for this year’s pilgrimage. Mandatory online registration, a daily cap on pilgrim numbers, drone surveillance and the closure of the traditional parikrama route via Kugti village are among the key measures aimed at preventing a repeat of the 2025 crisis.

The DC said that the pilgrimage would resume on August 26, subject to favourable weather and route conditions and he appealed to the pilgrims to cooperate with the administration and prioritise their own safety.

He also directed the officials concerned to monitor the condition of the pilgrimage routes and ensure that all necessary arrangements are in place.

The administration has already put in place a series of security measures for the official pilgrimage period. As part of the arrangements, movement of pilgrims will be restricted at night. From Mehla onwards, pilgrim movement will remain restricted between 11 pm and 4 am, while movement from Hadsar to the holy Manimahesh Dal will be prohibited between 7 pm and 4 am.

To regulate the rush and ensure the safety of pilgrims, only 5,000 devotees will be permitted to undertake the yatra each day during the official pilgrimage period. Pilgrims coming from outside Himachal Pradesh are also prohibited from undertaking the Manimahesh parikrama trek via Kugti without prior permission from the district administration.

The administration may increase the daily limit on the opening and closing days, depending on the situation and arrangements.

125 roads blocked

Moderate to heavy rains continued to disrupt normal life across the state, with 125 roads blocked, 20 water supply schemes and 33 electricity distribution transformers disrupted in the state according to the State Emergency Operations Centre.

Torrential rains on Saturday night wreaked havoc near Chamda Bend—located about a kilometer beyond Kotropi on the Mandi-Pathankot National Highway. Around 2.30 am, the collapse of the road’s retaining wall caused almost half the road to cave in, halting the movement of heavy vehicles. Traffic for light vehicles was restored in the morning after some cutting work was carried out on the rear side of the road.

SDM Padhar Surjit Singh Thakur inspected the site alongside an NHAI team. Given the road’s condition, a complete ban has been imposed on the movement of heavy vehicles, while light vehicle traffic continues. Buses and other heavy vehicles are being diverted via alternative routes.