New Delhi -°C
Today in New Delhi, India

Aug 14, 2020-Friday
-°C

Humidity
-

Wind
-

Select Country
Select city
ADVERTISEMENT
Home / Cities / Kanpur firing: Our men went down in first hail of bullets, says cop who survived

Kanpur firing: Our men went down in first hail of bullets, says cop who survived

On reaching Bikru village, the police team left their vehicles on the road and walked about 100 metres, said Singh at the hospital where he is being treated.

cities Updated: Jul 06, 2020 08:59 IST
HT Correspondent | Posted by Shivani Kumar
HT Correspondent | Posted by Shivani Kumar
Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh
Even after 65 hours, UP Police and ATS have not yet discovered anything about the whereabouts of Dubey, sources informed.
Even after 65 hours, UP Police and ATS have not yet discovered anything about the whereabouts of Dubey, sources informed.(PTI)

Kanpur Station house officer(SHO) , Bithoor, Kaushalendra Pratap Singh, one of the seven policemen injured in the shootout at Bikru village in Kanpur early on July 3, said he had been asked by station officer, Chaubeypur, Vinay Tiwari, who was suspended on Saturday, to accompany the raiding team.

On reaching Bikru village, the police team left their vehicles on the road and walked about 100 metres, said Singh at the hospital where he is being treated. They eventually found a heavy earthmoving machine blocking the road. The team, he said, somehow reached close to Dubey’s house.

“Dubey’s men were fully prepared. Each of them had weapons. They were using semi-automatic weapons. Suddenly, firing began from all the directions. We looked for safe places. But the majority of our men went down in the first hail of bullets,” he said.

The remaining policemen fired back, he said, adding the criminals could see them but policemen could not.

“Two of my constables Ajay Sengar and Ajay Kashyap were injured. My priority at that time was to save them and take them to safer ground as others had fallen,” he said. Singh was injured when he was taking the constables away. He said he came to know later when he saw visuals of the attack on social media that the firing was going on from three sides and that at the place where Circle Officer, Bilhaur, was hiding, firing was done from right above him. -- here is the reporter version

“All the workers of the local police station are under our scope of investigation on how Vikas Dubey got information about police movement. Whoever is found guilty will be charged with murder,” he added.

The Uttar Pradesh Police has contacted the police of both Madhya Pradesh and Rajasthan. Even after 65 hours, UP Police and ATS have not yet discovered anything about the whereabouts of Dubey, sources informed.

The district administration had on Saturday demolished the house and visuals showed cars and other vehicles in the premises of the building complex being crushed by machines.

Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath earlier announced Rs 1 crore each ex-gratia for the families of the policemen who were killed in the Bikaru village encounter.

ht epaper

Sign In to continue reading