Tiger kills 30-year-old man in UP’s Lakhimpur Kheri; 3rd incident in June

Updated on Jun 27, 2022 11:29 AM IST

This development comes days after two similar incidents where the tigress was reported to have killed two others, a local priest and a 13-year-old boy, within a span of one week

Villagers assembled in Beli village in Dudhwa buffer zone where the big cat killed a youth. (HT photo)
Villagers assembled in Beli village in Dudhwa buffer zone where the big cat killed a youth. (HT photo)

A stray tiger killed a 30-year-old man in UP’s Lakhimpur Kheri. This was the third human killing since June 18 and fifth since May 21.

The incident happened on Sunday night in Narendranagar Beli village close to Manjhra Purab forests under Dudhwa buffer zone, about 12 km away from Khairatiya in Tikunia Kotwali limits.

The man, identified as Nagendra Singh was mauled by the tiger late on Sunday night.

The big cat is reportedly the same tigress that had killed a local priest Mohan Das (52) on June 18 and a 13-year-old boy Suraj Singh on June 23, both in Khairatiya area.

Deputy director, Dudhwa buffer zone Sundaresh confirmed the killing of the man in the tiger’s attack on Sunday night. However, he said pugmarks were being collected to identify if the tigress is the same that was responsible for the earlier incidents.

Sundaresh added that the forest teams had been deployed in Beli village to keep away the big cat while villagers were issued fresh advisory not to visit their cane crops or agricultural fields particularly during evening and night hours.

Also Read:Tiger strikes again in Lakhimpur Kheri, kills 13-yr-old boy

Terror of big cats has intensified in Manjhra Purab forest area since June 18 when a tiger- later identified to be a tigress- killed a local priest Mohan Das in his temple compound in Khairatiya, close to Manjhra Purab forest area in Dudhwa buffer zone.

Forest authorities said it was unusual in nature of the big cats to not only kill but also eat up the entire human body.

Assuming the tigress to be a threat to human lives, senior forest authorities including chief wildlife warden KP Dubey, PCCF, wildlife Kamlesh Kumar, chief conservator of forest and field director Dudhwa Sanjay Kumar Pathak, deputy director, Dudhwa buffer zone Sundaresh camped in Khairatiya area to neutralise the big cats’ terror.

UP chief wildlife warden KP Dubey permitted the Dudhwa authorities to trace and tranquilise the big cat. Four patrolling teams, drone teams, cameras, elephant combing teams were deployed while cages with baits were set up to catch the errant big cats.

Last week, a similar incident had occurred in Nayapind- Khairatiya village, a few kilometres from the previous killing spot where a 13-year-old boy was mauled to death by the tiger.

FD Sanjay Kumar Pathak told HT that a thorough analysis of the tiger images captured in cameras, it appeared that two big cats were on the move in the area.

“By their head size, hind part and genitals, they turned out to be tigresses, and probably mother and daughter as they were sharing each other’s territory”, he added.

Pathak appealed to the local villagers to cooperate with forest authorities in tackling the tiger menace and restricting their movements towards their fields and forest areas.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Close Story
QUICKREADS

Less time to read?

Try Quickreads

  • Former Mumbai zonal director of the Narcotics Control Bureau Sameer Wankhede, who got a clean chit from the Mumbai district caste certificate verification committee, at the National Commision for Scheduled Castes, in New Delhi, on Aug 16. (PTI)

    Got death threat on Twitter for FIR against Nawab Malik, Sameer Wankhede to cops

    Former Narcotics Control Bureau officer Sameer Wankhede on Thursday complained to the Goregaon police that he had received a death threat on Twitter for filing a defamation case against Nationalist Congress Party leader Nawab Malik. Deputy commissioner of police of Zone-11, Vishal Thakur, said that they have received information about the threat to Wankhede, an Indian Revenue Service officer, and are verifying the complaint before registering a first information report (FIR).

  • For representational purposes only. (Getty Images/iStockphoto)

    UKSSSC paper leak: Uttarakhand STF makes first arrest in Uttar Pradesh

    The special task force of the Uttarakhand police on Friday made the first arrest from Uttar Pradesh in connection with the Uttarakhand subordinate service selection commission (UKSSC) paper leak case, a senior police official said. A resident of Dhampur in Bijnor district, Junior engineer Lalit Raj Sharma was associated with an “inter-state cheating mafia” based in Uttar Pradesh. “He (Lalit) was an important link between mastermind Rawat and the cheating mafia of Uttar Pradesh. His arrest is a major success for us,” the STF SSP said.

  • Screengrab of video shared by ANI: AAP workers outside Manish Sisodia's house being taken into custody by the Delhi Police.

    Amid CBI raids, AAP workers detained outside Manish Sisodia home | Video

    A group of Aam Aadmi Party workers were on Friday detained by the Delhi Police outside deputy chief minister Manish Sisodia's residence after they gathered to protest the raids launched by the Central Bureau of Investigation over the national capital's excise policy. A video shared by news agency ANI showed cops taking several AAP workers to custody who were gathered outside Sisodia's house.

  • Mumbai: A building in Borivali West collapses on Friday, August 19.

    4-storey building in Mumbai's Borivali West collapses; no casualties reported

    A four-storey building collapsed in Mumbai's Borivali area on Friday. At least eight fire engines and fire brigade personnel have rushed to the spot, reported PTI quoting the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation. The Gitajali Building in Saibaba Nagar of Boriwali West collapsed around 12.34 pm. Officials said that the building had already been vacated after the BMC declared it as a dilapidated structure. Mumbai fire brigade has declared the collapse as L-2 level.

  • Over 60 lakh people had accessed BMTC buses on August 15 in Bengaluru. 

    Over 60 L people in Bengaluru travelled in BMTC free buses on August 15

    On August 15, Bengaluru Metropolitan Transport Corporation celebrated the 25th anniversary and a record number of commuters had accessed the free bus rides that were offered by the public transport. The sharp increase in the number of people who used public transport buses on August 15 has also raised a question of BMTC ticket prices on normal days.

SHARE
Story Saved
×
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Friday, August 19, 2022
Start 15 Days Free Trial Subscribe Now