Today in New Delhi, India
Nov 14, 2018-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Tandoor case convict out of jail on parole with ‘no conditions’

delhi Updated: Sep 19, 2015 01:45 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Sushil Sharma, convicted for killing his wife Naina Sahni, had his death sentence commuted to life term in 2013.(ht file photo)

New Delhi

Former youth Congress leader Sushil Sharma, convicted for the murder of his wife in the sensational Tandoor murder case, was released from jail on parole on Friday evening after the court rapped the police for not following its orders.

The Delhi high court on Friday pulled up the city police for failing to comply with its order to release Sharma even three days after passing directions to this effect.

DIG (prisons) Mukesh Prasad confirmed that Sharma had been released from Tihar.

Justice Siddharth Mridul expressed unhappiness that despite the high court’s orders, Sharma was not released from prison.

The court said that it passed the order to release Sharma on parole on September 15 and even ensured the decision was communicated to Tihar jail authorities so that he is released the same day.

“Tuesday (September 15) was a good day, than other days. He (Sharma) should have been released on that day itself,” the judge remarked.

Sharma’s release was assured on Friday after Ajay Chaudhary, officer on special duty to lieutenant governor, was asked to appear in court and explain why the court’s order was not complied with.

The non-compliance of the court’s order was brought to the court’s attention by the convict’s lawyer, Sumeet Verma.

The court had ordered Sharma’s release on parole observing that he has been in jail for over 20 years. The court had said that till his plea seeking remission and premature release is decided by the competent authority, he will remain out of jail.

The judge had also made clear while passing the decision that “no condition” is imposed on Sharma while he will be on parole.

Sharma, convicted for killing his wife Naina Sahni, had his death sentence commuted to life imprisonment by the Supreme Court in October 2013.

Suspecting his wife of infidelity, Sharma, in a fit of rage, shot her dead at their residence in Gole Market area in New Delhi on July 2, 1995. He then cut her body into pieces, stuffed it into a gunny bag and took it the open-air Bagiya Restaurant inside the erstwhile Ashok Yatri Niwas hotel and tried to burn it in the tandoor with the help of his friend, the restaurant manager.

First Published: Sep 19, 2015 00:31 IST