Modi rubbishes reports of matches in England
IPL chairman Lalit Modi dismissed reports that the second edition of the League would be co-hosted by England. Modi said that the IPL was a domestic league with global appeal and would be played only in India.cricket Updated: Jan 02, 2009 01:00 IST
Indian Premier League (IPL) chairman Lalit Modi dismissed reports that the second edition of the League would be co-hosted by England. Modi said that the IPL was a domestic league with global appeal and would be played only in India.
“Right off the drawing board, we were certain that the IPL was not just a domestic league with limited appeal (for the Indian cricket fans) but a global league that would draw in viewership from across the world,” Modi said.
“But we have no plans to host IPL in England. It is a domestic league which will be played in India,” said the BCCI vice-president. Reports in a national daily here had earlier claimed that the second edition, scheduled for April-May this year, would be split, with five weeks of action in India and three weeks in England.
Modi also expressed hope that players from England, who missed the inaugural edition, would feature in this year's event.
"It is only a matter of time before all the players from England and across the world would be a part of the IPL,” Modi said.
He termed the postponement of Champions League as “unfortunate” and said that dates were never a problem for the organisers as they always had a window in the next year’s ICC calendar in October. “We had no option but to postpone the Champions League after the events of 26/11.