Two killed, five injured in fire at Delhi’s congested Sadar Bazar
The family lived in Gali Pahiya Waali of Sadar Bazar in a two-storeyed house.delhi Updated: Nov 04, 2017 23:37 IST
An elderly woman and her five-year-old granddaughter were killed and five other members from the family were in a fire broke at north Delhi’s Sadar Bazar on Saturday morning. A gas leakage is suspected to have started the fire.
The deceased have been identified as Bhagwati Devi, 75, and Kavya,5.
The injured are Devraj (58), Sushila (50), Vijay (32), Preeti (30) and Vanshika (8). They are recuperating in different hospitals.
The family lived in Gali Pahiya Waali of Sadar Bazar in a two-storeyed house. According to Teerath Ram, a relative of the family, the fire started on the first floor and spread.
As some of the members were asleep, they did not realise it in time to escape.
Additional Director (Delhi Fire Services) Atul Garg said they received a call around 8-55 a.m.from the police control room. The PCR call was made by a neighbour Shekhar, said DCP North Jatin Narwal.
“I was sleeping when my wife came and told me the adjoining house was on fire. After informing the police, I along with a few neighbours poured water to try and control the fire but it had engulfed almost the entire house. Entering and rescuing the victims was also not possible,” said Shekhar.
A team from the Bara Hindu Rao police station and eight fire tenders reached the spot. The firefighting lasted for an hour and the victims were rushed to a hospital where Bhagwati Devi was declared brought dead. Initial investigation pointed that there was a leak from the cylinder pipe, which led to the blaze.
The victims were then referred to Lady Irwin and Ram Manohar Lohia hospitals. Kavya died during treatment, said Teerath Ram who is married to Devi’s daughter.
Among the injured, Devraj and Vijay are Devi’s sons while Sushila and Preeti are their respective wives. The children Vanshika and Kavya were both daughters of Preeti and Vijay.
Devraj is unemployed while Vijay works as an electrician.
First Published: Nov 04, 2017 23:37 IST