DCW asks police why no action taken on Dalit girl’s rape

HT Image
HT Image
Published on Jul 24, 2016 11:09 AM IST
Copy Link

NEW DELHI: The Delhi Commission for Women on Saturday issued a notice to the police for allegedly not taking action in connection with the rape of a 14-year-old Dalit girl.

DCW chair person Swati Maliwal quoted the victim’s parents as saying the girl was sexually assaulted several times by her neighbour and forced to drink a ‘corrosive substance, which severely damaged her internal organs.’

The police claimed they arrested the accused thrice but the girl turned hostile twice.

The panel sought details about the police action on the girl’s parents’ allegations on May 15 that their lives were under threat.

The girl’s uncle alleged that accused, Shiv Shankar, threatened them. “Both the parents work and are out for the entire day. After being abducted on May 15, our child was tortured and made to drink acid. Later, they (Shankar’s family) threatened her to change her statement,” he alleged.

“She was kept hostage by them for around 10-12 days after which she was brought to the police station where her condition was bad. Shiv Shankar’s family threatened to kill her brother too,” he said.

He said the girl’s family traced her and took her to LNJP Hospital. The DCW has sought police protection for the family.

“This is a serious case... The girl has changed her statements previously due to pressure from the accused..,” Maliwal said.

A police officer said the girl first went missing on December 21, 2015. They rescued her from Shankar on December 24. He was arrested and her statement was recorded before a magistrate on January 5. But the girl turned hostile and Shankar was granted bail.

On May 15, the girl’s parents approached the police with a missing complaint. Deputy commissioner of police (north) Madhur Verma said they registered a kidnapping case again. “We rescued her on May 26 again from Shankar. She is a minor, so he was arrested. On May 27, we took her to a magistrate. She again told the magistrate that Shankar had not taken her and requested for the case to be closed. He was acquitted,” said Verma.

Police said the girl was produced before the Child Welfare Committee, which sent her to a shelter home because her family refused to take her back.

In June first week, her parents approached the CWC. On June 3, the girl was handed back to her parents, police said.

“We came to know on June 30 that she was admitted to the LNJP Hospital. Our inspector went to take her statement. She did not say anything. On July 8, she gave a written complaint that Shankar had raped her a month ago. Now, we have arrested Shankar,” said DCP Verma.

Verma said when the police learnt about the girl, they visited the hospital with a magistrate. But doctors said she was not in a condition to give a statement. “Once she is fit for statement we will probe other allegations of torture too,” said Verma

Close Story
Story Saved
Saved Articles
My Reads
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Sunday, January 23, 2022