Attacks on Christians in Orissa 'pre-planned': NCM
NCM accuses the Orissa Govt of being "negligent" while dealing with the violence, saying the attacks are "pre-planned".Updated: Jan 17, 2008 14:31 IST
The National Commission for Minorities (NCM) on Thursday accused the Orissa government of being "negligent" while dealing with the recent violence against Christians in the state and said the attacks were "pre-planned".
The NCM also said the compensation given to the victims was very low.
Taking slow-motion cognizance of reports of violence against the minority community, the Commission had sent a two-member team to the state, which visited the four affected districts -- Phulbani, Daringbadi, Bamunigaon and Baliguda.
"The government and the local officials had been warned of trouble as early as on December 22. But they did not take any action and the result was the large-scale violence," NCM member Dilip Padgaonkar, who was part of the delegation told reporters here.
He said while the Vishva Hindu Parishad might have been in the background of "creating and vitiating" the political atmosphere, it was very difficult to say who had physically carried out the attacks.
"It was an organised and pre-planned attack on the Christian community," he said.
Padgaonkar said it was the two strikes called by two different organisations on December 26, which fuelled the violence.
The delegation found that one of the main reasons for the outbreak of violence was the long simmering conflict between Kui tribes and Pana Christians, NCM member Zoya Hasan, the other member of the delegation, said.