CBI seizes documents, questions CWG officials
CBI officials on Monday visited the Commonwealth Games Organising Committee office here and questioned some officials as part of its probe into corruption charges in the conduct of the mega sporting event. HT reports.Updated: Jan 03, 2011 23:41 IST
CBI officials on Monday visited the Commonwealth Games Organising Committee office here and questioned some officials as part of its probe into corruption charges in the conduct of the mega sporting event.
Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) sources said the officials have seized documents related to the Queen’s Baton Relay held in London and other contracts. They said the CBI sleuths have sought clarification on the grant of contracts by the Organising Committee (OC) and the alleged misappropriation of funds.
The move assumes significance amid reports of some crucial Games-related files going missing from the Committee office.
However, when contacted, a CBI official termed the visit as routine. CBI sources said that key documents that could throw light on Commonwealth Games deals have gone missing and feared that they could have been destroyed or hidden. They said the files contain information on tendering, budgetary allocation and contract details, among others. The agency has, so far, filed three FIRs in connection with the alleged financial irregularities.
While one case is related to a R107-crore deal struck with a Swiss score-keeping firm, the CBI had registered two other FIRs in connection with the contract given to AM Films by the OC for the Baton Relay ceremonies in London. The CBI has asked OC chief Suresh Kalmadi to appear before it for interrogation.
First Published: Jan 03, 2011 23:39 IST