Dec 16, 2012 gang rape verdict: As Delhi rose in anger, how police nailed the convicts
The gang rape of a paramedical student on a moving bus by five men and a juvenile in Delhi on December 16, 2012 outraged Indians who later protested on streets for days to demand justice for her. While the braveheart battled for her life in south Delhi’s Safdarjung Hospital, the police could not afford to waste any time in nabbing the accused.
Here’s an account of the fortnight between the brutal attack and the death of the victim and how Delhi Police nailed the men who caused it:
* On December 17, an FIR was registered at Vasant Vihar police station on the basis of the statement of the victim’s friend, who was with her on the evening of December 16. The crime team lifted the exhibits from the spot near Mahipalpur flyover, where the victims were found brutally injured.
* After frantic search operations, the police found the chartered bus parked near Ravi Dass Camp in RK Puram later that day. A key accused Ram Singh, who allegedly killed himself later in Tihar Jail, was found sitting in it. Singh was interrogated and arrested. The police also recovered Singh bloodstained clothes and the iron rods that were used to assault the victims.
* On December 18, Vinay Sharma and Pawan alias Kalu were the next to be caught. The police recovered Sharma’s bloodstained clothes and found the mobile phone of the victim with him. Pawan was found in his jhuggi with bloodstained clothes, shoes and also a wrist watch and Rs 1000 robbed from victim’s friend.
* Same day, accused Mukesh was apprehended from his native village Karoli in Rajasthan and the mobile phone of the victim’s friends was recovered from him. He was brought to Delhi and was arrested after interrogation.
* On December 21, the juvenile accused was apprehended from ISBT. An ATM debit card of the victim was recovered from him.
* That day, accused Akshay was also arrested from Aurangabad in Bihar. He led to his brother’s house in village Naharpur, Gurgaon, Haryana where the police recovered his bloodstained clothes.
* On December 23, the police got a route chart made where the accused drove the bus that night. Besides, Mukesh got recovered his bloodstained clothes from the garage of his brother at Anupam Apartment, Saidulajab, Saket.
* Victim’s statement was recorded on December 21 and 25 by Metropolitan Magistrate Pawan Kumar, by putting her multiple choice questions and through gestures.
* On December 26, the gang-rape victim was airlifted to Singapore’s Mount Elizabeth Hospital after her condition deteriorated. In one of the many operations, doctors in India removed her intestines which were damaged in the attack.
* On December 29, the woman died from organ failure in Singapore triggering further protests across the country.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Earlier in the day, a Delhi court sentenced Bharti to two years in jail in a case registered in 2016.