Honour killing suspects in custody
A court in New Delhi on Saturday sent three men arrested on charges of killing a couple and another woman in a case of suspected honour killing to five days police custody.
Metropolitan Magistrate Satish Kumar gave the ruling after the three - Mandeep Nagar, 23, Ankit Chaudhury, 22, and Nakul Khari, 21 - were presented in court.
They were handed over to Delhi Police till July 1.
On Friday, the court issued warrants against the three men who were arrested Thursday in Garh Mukteshwar, about 90 km from here in Ghaziabad, for the June 20 triple murder.
They are residents of Wazirpur village in Ashok Vihar in Delhi and were on the run.
According to police, the accused have confessed to murdering Monica, her husband Kuldeep and her cousin Shobha.
Gajraj Singh, counsel for the suspects, objected to the police plea seeking their remand and said the trio were falsely implicated.
"My clients were on vacation and came to know about this incident through the media. Since the murders were linked to their names, they were scared of coming back to the capital," Singh told reporters outside the court.
"This case is based on circumstantial evidence and we will prove their innocence at the right stage," said Singh, adding that there was no witness to the murders.
He said police do not have any specific and substantial evidence against the accused.
Opposing the police remand plea, Singh said: "Now, police want to create evidence and will come up again with some new kind of stories."
Monica and Kuldeep belonged to different castes and their families were against their marriage. Shobha had allegedly helped her sister Khushbu, a model, to elope with a man from another caste.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The CPCB report released on Sunday said that there are over 112 sites in India that are contaminated by toxic and hazardous substances.
- An infection is said to be endemic in a population when it is constantly maintained at a baseline level in a geographic area.
- The BJP dismissed the allegations as “baseless” and hit back, saying that the AAP should answer why the construction of the Signature bridge in north-east Delhi faced delays.
- Appropriate allocation of funds in this regard will be made in the upcoming Delhi budget that is likely to be presented this week, he added .
- In February that year, just before Holi, he went back to the Sadar Bazar trader with the water gun he had produced and also the Chinese one.
- Experts said such initiatives will ensure that the only continuous green space in the national capital is preserved.
- A host of functions to honour women have also been scheduled at different police stations and DCP offices.
- Adesh Gupta has also started ‘mandal pravas’ (stay in each municipal wards) to connect with the party workers and supporters.
- As part of the revamp, new CCTV cameras, with better technology for improved clarity, additional escalators, bird spikes to prevent tripping of the overhead electrification (OHE) due to bird menace, were also installed.
- The Panth Ratan Baba Harban Singh Ji Dialysis block in Bala Sahib hospital complex started treating patients from Sunday.
- Whatever, the two ascetics are buried next to each other, separated by a neem tree. For that reason, many consider the landmark as a twin shrine.