HT Image
HT Image

Top five courses at Jamia

Science, Humanities and Commerce — the pick of the most popular courses at Jamia Millia Islamia spans all three streams, each providing students with a host of options, writes Swaha Sahoo & Ritika Chopra.
Hindustan Times | By Swaha Sahoo & Ritika Chopra, New Delhi
UPDATED ON MAY 28, 2008 03:51 PM IST


With 5,200 applicants for 40 seats, the Bachelor in Business Studies (BBS) programme at Jamia Milia Islamia was the most popular course last year. The trend is going to continue, said Prof Abdul Ansari, Head, Department of Commerce and Business Studies.

The department is expecting 8,000 applications for the BBS course for the current academic session. “Business studies has become very popular, especially when it gives students a solid grounding for further studies such as MBA,” said Ansari. “We have also given a vocational touch to our course by introducing chapters on advertising, foreign trade policies etc.,” he added.

Any person who secures a 50 per cent in Class XII can sit for the entrance exam. “We test the numerical ability of the candidate and general commercial knowledge relating to the business world,” said Ansari. “We also give out a syllabus for the entrance test, which carries 85 per cent weightage. The rest 15 per cent is judged through interview,” he said.


Jamia’s B.Com Honours programme came a close second in the popularity list last year, when 3,800 applications were received for 50 seats. “Our B.Com programme stands out as it has been structured under the model curriculum of the UGC,” said Ansari. “We have introduced a new subject called information technology in business, which teaches students computer applications in business,” he said.

Moreover, students have to submit a project report based on a market survey in the final year. “This report carries 100 marks and is evaluated by experts. So students have to go and interact with the industry in order to write a good report,” Ansari said.

BA (Social Work)

There is tough competition for the 30 seats in BA Social Work course at Jamia and the selection process is competitive. “We got around 950 applications for the 30 seats last year. For MA in Social Work we have 25 seats and get 600 applications,” said Prof AS Kohli, Department of Social Work.

The university holds an entrance test, followed by group discussion and interview.

The demand also stems from the fact that students get placed easily. “We arrange for campus interviews and almost all get placed with salaries ranging from Rs12,000 to Rs30,000,” said Kohli. He added that students preferred to do an MA after completing BA so they are better placed in the job market.

BA/BSc Mathematics

If you take to number-crunching like fish to water, then a course in mathematics seems like the obvious pick.

The Mathematics Department of JMI is ranked among the best in the country and offers both undergraduate (BA/BSc Honours and General) and postgraduate (MSc Mathematics with Computer Science and MSc Tech).

Industrial Mathematics with Computer Applications) courses. And with the software sector bursting at the seams with opportunities, even IT firms are now most willing to absorb their students.

“Currently a lot of work in India involves research and so IT firms, KPOs and e-tutoring firms are looking to hire people with analytical skills. Our mathematics graduates fit the bill. This year BA students were offered an average pay package of Rs 1.8 lakh. However, there weren’t many takers for our students wished to study further,” said Training and Placement Officer Rihan Khan Suri.

Currently, Jamia’s placement cell has 16 offers made by software companies to their MSc students of mathematics. Prof Sharfuddin Ahmad attributes the increase in IT offers to the course content. “Earlier software companies preferred MCA students and engineers. But many have realised our students have an edge over MCA students because the MSc courses equip them with the knowledge of mathematics as well as computers,” he said.

Admission to all programmes in the Mathematics Department is done through a written test followed by an interview. Seats in each course range between 30 and 40.

BA (H) Mass Media in Hindi

With the mushrooming of news channels, the demand for professionals in Hindi journalism has gone up.

There is fierce competition for the 30 seats offered by the Hindi mass media course, said Placement Officer Rihan Khan Suri.

“We have 100 per cent placement in both print and electronic media and students can earn somewhere between Rs10,000 and Rs 20,000 in the initial stages,” Khan said.

— With inputs from Rajeev Arora

Story Saved