2% vision, 100% grit, 92% marks
She could barely read what was written on the blackboard in her class. At home, she would study with the help of magnifying glasses.
But with just 2 per cent vision, Soma Patnaik of DAV Public School, Gurgaon, has scored 92.6 per cent marks in her Class X exam. Soma, is suffering from acute Retinitis Pigmentosa (RP) since birth.
RP patients usually lose their vision by the age of 30. Both of Soma’s retinas are damaged and cannot be replaced. In fact, Soma’s parents were asked to admit their daughter in a school for the visually-handicapped.
“I know that I am going to lose my vision. But I am mentally prepared. I have started learning Braille,” says a brave Soma. “My score would have been better if I had not lost marks in Sanskrit.
I couldn’t attempt a few questions because I couldn’t read them,” adds Soma, who has learnt to brave all odds.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) has declared the results of Indian Economic Services/Indian Statistical Services written exam on its official website -upsc.gov.in. The written exam was held in October 2020
- Staff Selection Commision (SSC) on Friday released the final answer key of Convinced Higher Secondary Level (CHSL) 2019 tier 1 exam on its official website- ssc.nic.in.
- Chhattisgarh Board of Secondary Education (CGBSE) on Friday released the exam schedule for its class 10th and 12th board exams. The schedule has been uploaded on the official website-cgbse.nic.in.
- MU is one of many higher education institutes across the country which chose to conduct convocation ceremonies virtually this year.
- Parents from across the state have written to the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) over issues pertaining to private schools in the state.
- The Singareni Collieries Company Limited (SCCL), under ministry of coal has invited online applications for the recruitment against 372 vacancies for Fitter, Welder, Junior Staff Nurse and other posts.
- The online registration window for JEE Main 2021 is closing on Saturday, January 23. Candidates who have not yet registered for the exam can online at jeemain.nta.nic.in. The last date to pay the registration fee is January 24.
- WB Police Recruitment 2021: West Bengal Police Recruitment Board (WBPRB) has invited online applications for recruitment against vacancies for the post of constable, lady constable, sub-inspector, lady SI and SI of Police (armed branch).