Doing it differently at St Stephen’s
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 20, 2019-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Doing it differently at St Stephen’s

The institute’s admissions process is very different from that of other DU colleges

education Updated: Jun 15, 2011 09:33 IST
Garima Upadhyay
Garima Upadhyay
Hindustan Times

For those aspiring to get into St Stephen’s College, the wait for the admissions list would be longer. Unlike other DU colleges, St Stephen’s will put out its interview list on June 15, a day after the first cut-offs are released. While Stephen’s is known for its distinct admissions process, the most fascinating bit is the criteria for determining the cut-off marks for various courses.

Departing from the past few years’ practice, Stephen’s has done away with the Class 10 component from its eligibility requirements.

“The admission would be based on two components this year, where 85% weightage would be given to the students’ Class 12 marks and the remaining 15% would be for their performance in the interview,” says KM Mathew, admissions in-charge at Stephen’s.

The reason is the changed results system of the Central Board of Secondary Education, adds Mathew. “With Class 10 students being awarded grades rather than scores, the focus has shifted to Class 12 scores.”

Applicants’ marks are not the only thing selectors look at. “Besides merit, the student’s all-round competence, capacity to benefit from being in the college and potential to contribute to life in college will have a bearing on his or her final rank. The aim is to identify the right candidates and get the best ones,” he elaborates.

How does the college determine the number of students to be interviewed for a certain study programme? “The college interviews approximately four applicants per seat for economics, history and English; five per seat for the BA programme; and six per seat for Sanskrit, philosophy and the sciences. In each subject, the marks of the last successful candidate become the cut-off for that particular course,” says Mathew.

The number of contenders for the interview is determined keeping in view the number of seats, popularity of the course, infrastructure available and teacher-student ratio. “The number of students to be interviewed is kept reasonably large to get the most deserving candidates and ensure that the seat is given to the right candidate,” says Mathew.

The interview is meant to gauge academic potential, co-curricular interest and general awareness and values. It is to find out a candidate’s suitability for the subject chosen, beyond what is indicated by marks. The college does not have a separate extra-curricular activities quota, but a strong ECA record is considered. It also seeks to determine a candidate’s personal outlook and motivation, says Mathew.

First Published: Jun 14, 2011 13:50 IST