Take care of your parents: IIM Trichy director has a message for management graduates
IIM Tiruchirapalli’s director advised management students to set their own standards and be ethical, honest and responsible managers.Updated: Mar 19, 2017 19:29 IST
Sage wisdom. That’s what Saturday’s annual convocation of the Indian Institute of Management Tiruchirappalli (IIM-T) for postgraduate diploma in management (PGDM) and the post graduate diploma in business management (PGDBM) was all about.
Yes, the placement results had been good, Dr Prafulla Agnihotri, director, said. What students had to remember once out in the world was to take care of their parents, who had been instrumental in their successes.
Guests of honour, Shivendu Nadkarni, vice president, Asia/Africa Snacks, Kellogg’s; and D Shivakumar, chairman and CEO, Pepsico India Private Holdings Limited, too, had words of advice. For Nadkarni, success was a journey, not a destination. He shared four lessons (4 H’s) from his personal and work experience with the graduands. The first lesson being “Heart greater than head”, he urged the students to make sure they used their hearts with their heads. They were also urged to “Make trust your second nature, there will be a magical payback”. Hunger had to be fuelled - one needed to have a constant hunger to win, succeed and make a difference. And the two engines to fuel one’s hunger? Passion and hard work. The third lesson that he shared was “Patrol your health, invest in wellness”. He stressed that one should focus on work and personal life balance. The final lesson was “Embrace humility” since one could not underestimate the importance of listening to understand rather than to respond. He ended his address by entreating the students to enjoy the roller coaster ride of life.
D Shivakumar, in his address, reflected upon a world going faster and faster, requiring one to have multiple capabilities to get through a career. The graduates were advised to do five things - focus on learning, invest in the community, keep being curious, listen more than speak, and not to lose passion in life. He ended his address by highlighting three sets of people: teachers, classmates, and parents, and urged the graduates to keep giving them reasons to brag about them.
Presenting his director’s report, Agnihotri advised the students to set their own standards and be ethical, honest and responsible managers.
Terming the preplacement season as “exceptional,” the IIMT directior said his institute had witnessed a 56% increase in the highest stipend offered for the summer placements and a 39% increase in highest CTC offered for the final placements. He said that these achievements had been possible because of the quality of the students and the hard work of the faculty. Students Upendran Vasu and Anirudh Jain were on the occasion lauded for securing the second place in the GSCMI intercollege case study competition held by Purdue University in the US.
Dr R Karunamurthi, chairman of the convocation, and member of the board of governors, IIMT, awarded diplomas to 108 PGP graduates and 33 PGPBM graduates.
Following are the students who were honoured for their meritorious achievements and all-round performance:
1. IIM Tiruchirappalli chairperson’s gold medal for securing first rank in post graduate programme in anagement (PGPM): Palash Nayak Gaunekar
2. IIM Tiruchirappalli director’s gold medal for securing second rank in PGPM: Nitin Chandra
3. Canara Bank Gold Medal for securing third rank in PGPM: Aritra Banerjee
4. Punjab National Bank Gold Medal for securing first rank among women students in PGPM: Doppani Sravya
5. ICSI Signature award gold medal for securing first rank in PGPM: Palash Nayak Gaunekar
6. HDFC Bank gold medal for academic proficiency in finance and accounting in PGPM: Nitin Chandra
7. HDFC Bank gold medal for academic proficiency in marketing in PGPM: Venkataramanan S
8. Leela Chandrasekhara Menon award for the outstanding lady student of the ear in PGPM: Rubal Bagde
9. Kotak Securities gold medal for best all round performance in PGPM: Naveen I
10. IIM Tiruchirappalli director’s gold medal for securing second rank in PGPBM: P. Santhanam
11. Punjab National Bank gold edal for best all round performance in PGPBM: Jiby M Isaac