Vidya Balan: OTT has been a life saver for a lot of us
The realm of entertainment changed in the last 10 months with OTTs coming to the fore with a ,lot of force in the event of shutdown of theatres owing to the pandemic. Something that has now made a lot of actors, who have so far stayed away from dabbling with the digital platforms, re-think their career options. Vidya Balan admits that this has indeed brought about a change in the mindset of many actors including herself.
“We were watching a lot of content globally. A lot of the actors were feeling that the content here was not up to the mark, and therefore we were shying away from doing any direct to OTT stuff. But I don’t know whether it is the pandemic or not… Actually I don’t think it is the pandemic. I think it has taken it’s time to come into a place to become itself and we have actually enjoyed the fruits of that during the pandemic,” shares Balan.
The actor says that she is now sure that she would be open to be a part of an original OTT project, a series, something that she thinks is the right time to venture into now.
“Now I think we are definitely sure of (doing original OTT series). I was always sure that I wanted to do something on the OTT space. I was looking for the right thing. The long format is something that does interest me because I have never done it. Even though it is scary at some level because it is a long term commitment. But I was always interested but I was waiting for the right thing. And hopefully I will find the right thing soon,” says the 42-year-old.
The actor, whose film Shakuntala Devi, which was originally slated to release in theatres, made its way online because of the situation last year, says that the OTT platforms have been a boon in more ways than one.
“Not just actors but everyone is looking at and considering OTTs positively. Plus, the variety of content that is being made, curated, produced and consumed, means there is something for everyone. It has generated employment because there is that much work for people in the industry,” shares Balan.
She further goes on to add, “I think OTT been a life saver for a lot of us, who could not have afforded to keep our ready films on hold. We had an avenue to release our films and they were widely watched. We don’t know when things are going to normalise with people going back to theatres. Let’s hope it is sooner, But OTT has opened up a completely a horizon and that can only mean good news.”
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Kangana Ranaut played hostess for the team of Tejas, as they went to her house on Sunday for a meeting. She shared pictures of the get-together, giving fans a glimpse of her home as well.
- Aamna Imran, dubbed as Aishwarya Rai's doppelgänger, took the internet by storm this weekend with her uncanny resemblance to the Bollywood actor. The Pakistani social media influencer has revealed that she has an Indian connect.
- Roohi actor Varun Sharma opened up about his love life in a recent interview. He recalled bonding with a girl he liked from school when his mother was busy watching Kasautii Zindagi Kay.
- Anil Kapoor reveals he had really looked forward to shooting a scene that had him taking a stand for his onscreen daughter, Priyanka Chopra, in the film Dil Dhadakne Do.
- Alia Bhatt has shared a sunshiny new picture on Instagram and she looks stunning as ever. Check it out and try to spot a cute little cat in the picture as well.
- Suhana Khan spent her Saturday night with friends in New York. Shah Rukh Khan's daughter took to her Instagram Stories and shared a glimpse of her whereabouts.
- Days after the trailer was released, Mumbai Saga makers have dropped its first song, titled Shor Machega. Yo Yo Honey Singh and Hommie Dilliwala sing the latest Bollywood song.
- Kangana Ranaut has shared a video of her brother and parents' Mumbai home which she transformed into a more lively place with the help of her new sister-in-law Ritu.
- Varun Dhawan and Shraddha Kapoor were spotted at the Mumbai airport on Sunday morning. The actors were headed to the Maldives, where Shraddha's cousin Priyaank is tying the knot.