Hilton’s stalker found guilty
Socialite and reality TV star Paris Hilton is breathing easy after a jury convicted her alleged ‘stalker’ of attempting to break into her home last year.Updated: May 03, 2011 01:27 IST
Socialite and reality TV star Paris Hilton is breathing easy after a jury convicted her alleged ‘stalker’ of attempting to break into her home last year. Nathan Lee Parada, 31, was convicted of first-degree attempted residential burglary and faces up to three years in prison when he is sentenced on June 29, said district attorney’s spokeswoman Jane Robison in a statement.
Hilton testified this week that she and her boyfriend were woken early on August 24 after Parada banged on one of her home’s windows with the butt of a knife. During interrogation, Parada said he wanted to steal as much as he could from the house and planned to move to a deserted island after the burglary, as per the testimony in the case.
He also told detectives he found Hilton’s Hollywood Hills home after buying a map showing stars’ homes, and waited outside for days before trying to break in. A defense attorney told jurors that Parada had left a halfway house days earlier and had not taken his antidepressant medication for several days. Just two days earlier, Hilton’s boyfriend Cy Waits was attacked on his way to the courthouse to testify against Parada. The man who hit Waits, James Rainford, was sentenced to 227 days in jail for the attack.