India's first transsexual model goes international
"I was born a boy but I always felt like a female trapped in a male body. That is why I decided to undergo a sex change. I always wanted to be part of the glamour world as a woman," says Delhi-based Chawla, who will feature in an episode of UTV Bindass’s show Emotional Atyachaar.
Chawla is also a stylist and claims she has walked at the Milan fashion week last year, though her journey hasn’t been easy. "I come from a orthodox family and they did not talk to me for five years when I told them I wanted a sex change. I went through hell. I never had a good life as a man."
Chawla, who has walked the ramp for several Delhi designers including designer duo Kapil-Monika, and some leading jewellery brands, says clients have had a mixed response to the prospect of her modelling for them. "My first ramp show was in 2010, and no one got to know I had my sex changed. Those who knew were shocked. Some sarcastically said, "Ab tu model banegi! (now you want to be a model)."
On the TV show, she will be seen conducting a ‘loyalty test’ on her boyfriend Nirbhay, a model. "We met at a shoot. He knows everything about my past," she says. Some time soon, she wishes to write an autobiography. Her views on Brazilian transgender model Lea T? "I am proud of her; it takes courage to get there."
Fashion circle stands divided on seeing her on the ramp
It’s the right attitude, walk, looks and height that matter, nothing else
-Sunil Sethi, FDCI president
So what if she’s transsexual, if her work’s good, I won’t mind her walking for me
-Nida Mahmood, designer
I didn’t know that she is transsexual. If I knew, I wouldn’t have let her model
Kapil Arora, designer
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Tiger Shroff, mom Ayesha Shroff, sister Krishna Shroff and rumoured girlfriend Disha Patani came together for the actor's birthday dinner.
- In a viral video, Rahul Vaidya of Bigg Boss 14 is seen narrating an incident about how he met Shah Rukh Khan's son Aryan at a city lounge and how the singer was impressed by star kid's humility and patience.
- Aly Goni has posted a new photo with close friend and Bigg Boss 14 co-contestant Jasmin Bhasin. Check it out here.
- Former Bigg Boss 14 contestant Kavita Kaushik has shared screenshots of the abusive messages she received on social media. "Call them out! Expose them!" Kavita wrote.
- Shraddha Kapoor turns 34 on Wednesday and to celebrate we are revisiting the time she told her father, Shakti Kapoor, how proud she was of him.
- Here's a video of almost-baby Tiger Shroff, taking to the stage with his father, Jackie, back in the early 1990s.
- Kishwer Merchant and Suyyash Rai announced on Tuesday that they are expecting their first child. Check out their Instagram posts.
- Amazon Prime Video has issued a new apology over the legal cases surrounding the political drama Tandav. Read it here.
- The creatives behind an apparel advertisement featuring Deepika Padukone have been accused of plagiarism by Yeh Ballet filmmaker Sooni Taraporevala, who has called the incident 'intellectual theft'.
- BTS singer V released his vlog on YouTube, which featured a few behind-the-scenes glimpses at his song Snow Flower with Peakboy, his workout session, and more.
- Fans have once again spotted similarities between Tiger Shroff's character in Heropanti 2, and Agent 47 in the Hitman video game series. A new poster for the film debuted on Tuesday.
- BLACKPINK member Rosé shared posters to confirm that she will make her solo debut on March 12. Her fellow BLACKPINK members Jisoo, Lisa and Jennie extend their support.
- Kajol celebrated the completion of one year of her short film, Devi. She mentioned how the film could still make her emotional.
- Several Twitter users pointed out that the poster for the upcoming Saina Nehwal biopic, starring Parineeti Chopra, appears to show an incorrect serve action.