Jail ki roti for good luck?
Earlier this week, actors Jimmy Shergill, Saif Ali Khan, producer Rahul Mittra and director Tigmanshu Dhulia were reported to have had prison food during the filming of Bullett Raja in Nashik. And, the trend is hot here in Delhi too, outside Tihar Jail.
Jail food, especially roti (chapatis) are in demand because the food prepared by those serving a sentence is believed to ward off evil. “There is a belief that jail food protects even the future generations of those who eat it to ward off bad luck. People use their contacts in Tihar to get hold of these chapatis. We get requests from everyone .... from VIPs to general public,” reveals a Tihar jail official, on the condition of anonymity. “People are so desperate that they are willing to pay any amount to anybody who can get jail ki roti for them,” says a former Tihar inmate.
Meanwhile, the film crew had it easy. “We were shooting for Bullett Raja inside the Nashik jail when Jimmy insisted that we have jail food. We had a simple lunch of chana and chapati prepared by the prisoners. No one had apprehensions and the food was very delicious,” said Mittra. “I hope the myth works and brings good luck to my film,” he added.
According to some astrologers, jail ki roti, is also mentioned in ancient books on astrology as a remedy to ward off evil. “This is a known remedy. If a person who is caught in a legal matter and has a case against him eats a roti made by a prisoner, chances are he’ll get out of the mess,” says astrologer Nitin Manchanda.
Rationalists, however, say that this is mere superstition. “There is no scientific basis to it. If jail roti was so effective, no one would ever have anything bad happening in their lives. It is more of psychological counselling, a kind of belief that brings comfort,” says BK Tyagi, a scientist from Vigyan Prasar.
With inputs from Navdeep Kaur Marwah
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Actor Vidya Balan has said that it has taken her time to accept her body because, at one point in her life, she used to hate it.
- Kangana Ranaut, who earlier accused Vikas Bahl of inappropriate behaviour, thanked him for turning her career around with Queen. She said that he 'played a very significant role' in shaping her destiny.
- Shahid Kapoor aced the Centre of Gravity challenge, much to the surprise of his wife Mira Rajput, who called him a 'smooth operator'. Watch the video here.
- Sonakshi Sinha, who plays a tough cop in her debut web series, shared her first look from the show on the eve of International Women's Day. See it here.
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui's wife Aaliya has reaffirmed her wish to reconcile with the actor in a new interview, adding that she is ready to mend her ties with his brother Shamas.
- Abhinav Shukla said that Bigg Boss 14 runner-up Rahul Vaidya did not deserve to be in the top two as he walked out of the show during the mid-season finale.
- BTS singer Jungkook hosted a VLive on Sunday. During the chat, he revealed his new hair colour, thanked the ARMY, listened to songs and gave everyone a good look at his arm tattoos.
- Rhea Kapoor dedicated an adorable Instagram post to her boyfriend Karan Boolani. She shared pictures of her showering him with kisses. See his reply here.
- Hema Malini was left teary-eyed on watching a video message from her daughter, Esha Deol, on Indian Idol 12. The episode will be aired tonight. Watch the promo here.