Jolie gives birth to boy and girl
Hollywood actress Angelina Jolie has given birth to twins, a boy and a girl, her doctor at a hospital in southern France said on Sunday.
Oscar winner Jolie, 33, had the twins by caesarean section on Saturday evening at the Lenval hospital on the glamorous Promenade des Anglais waterfront drive in Nice. Actor Brad Pitt, the twins' father, was at her side.
The girl, named Vivienne Marcheline, weighed 2.27 kg (5 lbs) while her brother, Knox Leon, weighed 2.28 kg. Marcheline was the first name of Jolie's mother, also an actress, who died of cancer last year.
"The parents and the babies are in excellent health. Everything is fine," Jolie's doctor, Michel Sussmann, told Reuters. He said the c-section had been planned for a long time but the date was brought forward "for medical reasons."
The doctor said Jolie was under epidural and was able to speak to a "perfectly calm" Pitt, 44, during the birth.
"They were very happy," Sussmann said. Asked what Pitt was doing during the birth, he said: "He was looking at what I was doing. He was my assistant. No, that's a joke."
Jolie arrived at the Lenval hospital in late June by helicopter from the Provence villa where she and Pitt had been staying with their four other children -- Maddox, Pax, Zahara and Shiloh.
A frenzied crowd of photographers and camera crews camped outside the building on Sunday, sweating in the humid heat.
$11 MILLION BABIES
Eager for the opportunity to promote himself and his city, Nice Mayor Christian Estrosi arrived at the hospital to sign the birth certificates in a smart suit and wearing full make-up for TV interviews despite the sweltering conditions.
"I congratulate the happy parents, the most famous couple in the world, who have chosen our city for this happy event ... The newborns are, history will not forget it, real Nicois, citizens of Nice," a beaming Estrosi said, holding up the birth certificates in a blaze of camera flashes.
News of the celebrity births spread like wildfire in the streets and markets of Nice, where residents and tourists were keen to congratulate and advise the A-list parents.
"Sleep when the babies sleep. That is definitely my main advice to them," said Nicole Stechmann, a German visitor.
Newspaper Nice Matin, which broke news of the birth on Sunday, reported the couple had sold exclusive rights to the first photographs of the twins to an unnamed U.S. magazine for $11 million and would give the money to charity.
Canadian tourist Heather Langfield said she was shocked at the hype surrounding the birth.
"It's ridiculous. It's just two people that just had two kids and they're making far too much out of it,"she said.
The celebrity couple, known in the media as "Brangelina", moved into a 17th century villa in Provence, France, earlier this year, with paparazzi descending on the village of Correns when news of their arrival leaked out.
Jolie, star of current hit movie
, and Pitt, of
fame, went public with their relationship after acting together in the 2005 film "Mr. & Mrs. Smith."
(Additional reporting by Pierre Thebault in Nice, Crispian Balmer and Evelyn Sayan in Paris, Mike Collett-White in London; writing by Estelle Shirbon; Editing by Jon Boyle).
(To read more about our entertainment news, visit our blog "Fan Fare" online at
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Mira Rapjut has shared new photos and videos from her Goa vacation with husband, actor Shahid Kapoor. Check them out here.
- Kangana Ranaut shared a video of Jiah Khan's sister levelling serious allegations of sexual harassment against Sajid Khan. She suggested that he has the 'full support' of the 'mafia' in the film industry.
- Actor Minissha Lamba has said that there is no longer any stigma attached to separation, and if a relationship isn't working, it is advisable to part ways amicably.
- Shah Rukh Khan jokingly took offence as the official Twitter handle of Kolkata Knight Riders declared Juhi Chawla’s husband Jay Mehta as the 'most affable gentleman'.
- Sunil Grover has insisted that Tandav is a work of fiction, and that it was shot before many of the incidents it shows transpired in real life.
- Actor Sonam Kapoor has shared a new image from the Glasgow sets of her upcoming film, Blind. Her dad, Anil Kapoor, left a comment on her post.
- Celebrity couple Justin Timberlake and Jessica Biel have welcomed their second child, a year after he publicly apologised for inappropriate behaviour amid cheating rumours.