Ricky Pond aka Dancing dad rose to Instagram fame with his videos.
Ricky Pond aka Dancing dad rose to Instagram fame with his videos.

Dancing Dad from America: My kids won't admit but the response is pretty cool

Ricky Pond aka Dancing Dad, who has become an Insta-star due to his dancing prowess, says he started out his tryst with these videos to embarrass his kids but it turned out to be a stress buster!
PUBLISHED ON JAN 11, 2021 05:22 PM IST

From Bollywood numbers Ghungroo (War; 2019) to O Beta Ji (Ludo), nothing is off the table when it comes to the display of dance skills by Ricky Pond aka Dancing Dad. The Washington-based graphic designer by profession is internet’s favourite these days, after he rose to Instagram fame with his dance videos on songs created across the world. What’s special? He shakes a leg to these dance numbers along with his children!

In a candid chat, Pond tells us that he has had a long-standing history with dance. “I started dancing when I was 8 with Clogging (a folk dance in US), and I did that all the way through high school and college. I always thought that dancing would be a part of my life. I even taught clogging at a dance studio for about 3 years! But soon family, kids and work took priority and dancing took a back seat in my life. That was until March of 2020 when I made my debut on a mobile app,” he says.

In December, Pond went viral with an Instagram video that showed him dancing to the song Ghungroo, from the movie War. That’s when his incredible and not so typical dad dancing skills got noticed among fans and non fans of Bollywood alike. Within a short span, he has acquired a fan following of over 80K on Instagram. “I have a beautiful wife and four children, three of whom you can see dancing with me. My wife is starting to warm up to the whole dancing on social media, and I hope to get her to dance with me as she is a great dancer herself,” he adds.

But do his kids appreciate him dancing his heart out for an online audience? “Dancing has helped me bond with my kids since they are pursuing online schooling at home,” he confesses, adding, “We (my kids and I) have a lot of fun together, but are that average family that will get on each other’s nerves as well. They (the kids) are not always willing to do some dances, and reason that their friends are following me! I guess they are just being teenagers (laughs)!”

In fact, Pond started recording these videos for an altogether different purpose. Pond shares, “It started out as something for me to use and embarrass the kids! But then it turned into a stress reliever from 10 hour days at work, and everything else going on (during the pandemic). My family thought it would just be a phase and I would stop after a few weeks, but that wasn’t the case. And here we are!”

His desi moves to many popular Bollywood and Punjabi songs has left many a followers grooving, as he effortlessly aces most signature hook steps. Although he has been now frequently entertaining requests to dance to popular Indian songs, he is bewildered at the response to his Bollywood dance numbers, and confesses, “I don’t understand a word of Hindi, except what people have very kindly translated for me... I have fun with them all, can’t pick any one favourite. But the ones in which my kids dance with me are the ones I enjoy the most!”

His trick to embarrass his kids didn’t work. But do his co-workers feel awkward? “It has been very positive with the people around me so far; my family and me are shocked at the response we are getting. I’m humbled that people like what we are doing, and we are just having fun. Even my co-workers are supportive and laugh daily about my crazy dances. My children will never admit, but I think it’s pretty cool! I know it’s a conversation with their friends and they hate that (laughs),” Pond signs off.

Mallika Bhagat

Author tweets @bhagat_mallika

Follow more stories on Facebook and Twitter

Neha Kakkar and Rohanpreet Singh pose together.
Neha Kakkar and Rohanpreet Singh pose together.

Rohanpreet Singh cannot get over Neha Kakkar’s ‘hotness’ in glamorous new photos

PUBLISHED ON MAR 04, 2021 09:52 PM IST
  • Rohanpreet Singh was bowled over by Neha Kakkar's "hotness" in their glamorous new photoshoot together. See pictures here.
Hyderabad-based hip-hop multilingual rap crew Nawab Gang was founded in 2018
Hyderabad-based hip-hop multilingual rap crew Nawab Gang was founded in 2018

Our art reflects reality, which people don’t like: Nawab Gang’s Seshi Roy

By Sugandha Rawal
PUBLISHED ON MAR 04, 2021 09:06 PM IST
Hyderabad-based hip-hop multilingual rap crew Nawab Gang’s A Pramod Seshi Roy feels big names refrain from talking about problems of India
BTS singers Jimin and V have been awarded the Presidential Award.
BTS singers Jimin and V have been awarded the Presidential Award.

BTS' Jimin and V felicitated with Global Cyber University's Presidential Award

PUBLISHED ON MAR 04, 2021 02:54 PM IST
  • BTS singers Jimin and V graduated from Global Cyber University. The duo has been conferred with the Presidential Award as well.
Shreya Ghoshal is all set to become a mother.
Shreya Ghoshal is all set to become a mother.

Shreya Ghoshal announces pregnancy: 'Need all your love and blessings'

PUBLISHED ON MAR 04, 2021 10:07 AM IST
  • Singer Shreya Ghoshal has announced her first pregnancy. She is married to Shiladitya M since six years.
BTS leader RM once sang Punjabi pop song Tunak Tunak Tun in school.
BTS leader RM once sang Punjabi pop song Tunak Tunak Tun in school.

When BTS leader RM revealed he sang Tunak Tunak Tun at the age of 14

PUBLISHED ON MAR 04, 2021 07:12 AM IST
  • BTS leader RM, during a conversation about India, revealed that he was familiar with Daler Mehndi's hit Punjabi track Tunak Tunak Tun and confessed he sang the song in middle school.
Sushant Divgikar identifies himself as gender fluid.
Sushant Divgikar identifies himself as gender fluid.

Sushant Divgikar: There’s deep rooted homophobia in many institutions in India

By Sugandha Rawal
UPDATED ON MAR 03, 2021 03:33 PM IST
Former Mr. Gay India and LGBTQI activist, Sushant Divgikar reacts to Centre’s response to Delhi High Court on same-sex marriage, and says it marginalises a community which is already marginalised.
Harshdeep Kaur and husband Mankeet Singh have welcomed a baby boy.
Harshdeep Kaur and husband Mankeet Singh have welcomed a baby boy.

Harshdeep Kaur welcomes baby boy, says 'our Junior Singh has arrived'

UPDATED ON MAR 03, 2021 03:46 PM IST
  • Singer Harshdeep Kaur and husband Mankeet Singh have welcomed a son. They had earlier shared several posts trying to guess the baby's gender, wondering if the child would be a 'Singh' or a 'Kaur'.
Armaan Malik is known to be quite vocal on social media about the issues pertaining to the music industry.

Armaan Malik: I do not believe in talking about religion or politics on social media

By Sugandha Rawal
UPDATED ON MAR 02, 2021 08:21 PM IST
Singer Armaan Malik says he has his own beliefs and way of thinking, but he doesn’t feel the need to voice that, because someone or the other will take offence to it.
BTS singer V and his friend Peakboy worked on Snow Flower, which released in December 2020.

BTS's V drops vlog featuring his workout session, his friend Peakboy and more

PUBLISHED ON MAR 02, 2021 07:01 PM IST
  • BTS singer V released his vlog on YouTube, which featured a few behind-the-scenes glimpses at his song Snow Flower with Peakboy, his workout session, and more.
BLACKPINK singer Rose in her solo debut poster.
BLACKPINK singer Rose in her solo debut poster.

BLACKPINK's Rosé solo debut release date out, see teaser poster

PUBLISHED ON MAR 02, 2021 06:27 PM IST
  • BLACKPINK member Rosé shared posters to confirm that she will make her solo debut on March 12. Her fellow BLACKPINK members Jisoo, Lisa and Jennie extend their support.
Tulsi Kumar is currently doing season 2 of the show Indie Hai Hum.
Tulsi Kumar is currently doing season 2 of the show Indie Hai Hum.

I have a renewed zeal in 2021: Tulsi Kumar

By Nikita Deb
PUBLISHED ON MAR 02, 2021 03:58 PM IST
With four singles releasing in 2020 alone, singer Tulsi Kumar says that she had quite a constructive year, being fully aware of the extreme hardships the rest of the world went through
BTS singer V caught Indian fans' attention with his namaste.
BTS singer V caught Indian fans' attention with his namaste.

BTS singer V ended yoga session with a 'namaste' and Indian fans rejoiced

PUBLISHED ON MAR 01, 2021 02:55 PM IST
  • BTS singer V left fans in India screaming after he was seen thanking a yoga instructor with a "namaste."
 BTS singer Jungkook talks about his mixtape.
BTS singer Jungkook talks about his mixtape.

BTS: Jungkook drops JJK1 mixtape spoilers, breaks a VLive record

PUBLISHED ON FEB 28, 2021 02:58 PM IST
  • BTS singer Jungkook was the talk of the town with his surprise VLive followed by his statements on his upcoming mixtape, dubbed JJK1, on Saturday.
Harshdeep Kaur with Neeti Mohan at her baby shower.
Harshdeep Kaur with Neeti Mohan at her baby shower.

Harshdeep Kaur's baby shower was made perfect by Neeti Mohan. See pics

PUBLISHED ON FEB 28, 2021 02:41 PM IST
Singer Harshdeep Kaur is all set to become a mother for the first time and her friend, singer Neeti Mohan threw her the sweetest baby shower.
Shaan has responded to a troll on Twitter.
Shaan has responded to a troll on Twitter.

Shaan hits back at troll who says he has lost his ability to sing

UPDATED ON FEB 28, 2021 02:13 PM IST
Shaan was targeted by a troll on Twitter for sharing his opinion on the rising fuel prices in the country. The singer, however, decided to reply to their mean comment.