Prince Harry’s party attendees surprised by lack of security
People who joined Prince Harry for a hen party during his weekend of high jinks in Las Vegas said that they were surprised by the lack of security surrounding the royal.entertainment Updated: Aug 25, 2012 13:06 IST
People who joined Prince Harry for a hen party during his weekend of high jinks in Las Vegas said that they were surprised by the lack of security surrounding the royal.
The girls described how the Prince put on one of their “Let’s Get Wild” vests, while at least one of his royal protection officers was pictured wearing a straw hat and swimming trunks.
The party was held less than 24 hours after Harry’s minders stood by as he was photographed naked during a game of “strip billiards” in his hotel.
Keith Vaz, the chairman of the home affairs select committee, said that royal protection officers should be safeguarding the reputations of the Royal family as well as their lives.
Earlier this week, Bernard Hogan-Howe, the Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police, insisted that the Prince’s minders were there for his security and “not to regulate his life.”
However, Vaz said the role of royal protection officers had been interpreted “very narrowly” and should be reviewed.
“Of course it is not the responsibility of a protection officer to regulate people’s lives but it is their responsibility to protect them, for the simple reason that they don’t know who these members of the public are,” the Telegraph quoted him as saying.
“Protection not only deals with an event that is life-threatening. They have a very narrow interpretation of this I feel,” he said.
Concerns over the failure of the officers to intervene came as The Sun chose to publish the naked pictures despite a request by St James’s Palace to respect the Prince’s privacy.
The final decision on publication was said to have been made by Rupert Murdoch, the chief executive of News Corporation, which ultimately owns The Sun.
First Published: Aug 25, 2012 13:02 IST