Urvashi Dholakia: Categorizing actors by mediums needs to stop
Recently, when a fan asked Urvashi Dholakia on social media to make a comeback on screen, she replied saying, “The pandemic has left no vacancies for me”. The actor, who never shies away from expressing her honest views about the industry or otherwise, feels the entertainment industry has been drastically affected in many ways due to the pandemic.
Sharing her thoughts, she says it’s not just monetarily but also that the kind of content being put out today, is not being experimented with, and there are no risks being taken to try out something new. The Kasauti Zindagi Ki actor explains, “Being a part of the industry for more than three decades now, I have worked on a variety of genres and shows from positives to negatives, comic and historical roles, and even shown my true self to the world through reality shows! So, while I have proved my versatility as an actor, with the current changing scenario, I feel that though actors are expected to be versatile, on the other hand we are being stagnated due to the kind of content being created. Today, if I pick a role, there should be an X factor which makes the character stand out from my body of work, and I find that lacking. There’s hardly any experiment with concepts, storylines or role!”
While there are many mediums to view content, the practice of categorising actors doesn’t helping the current work situation, points out the Chandrakanta actor. “There are many people who, even today, categorise actors on their body of work. They have a narrow mind and believe that if you have worked in one medium, you won’t be able to connect with audiences on other, which is so not true! Irrespective of the mediums, we are actors, performers and can adapt to any platform- be it TV, OTT or films. Categorising us needs to stop, as I feel that everybody deserves a chance to be a part of various mediums that are available today,” she concludes.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Rahul Vaidya wore a sweatshirt similar to one worn by Rubina Dilaik on Bigg Boss 14, as he took off on a romantic holiday with girlfriend Disha Parmar.
- Sumona Chakravarti has made the maximum use of limited space in her new Mumbai house, designed in Scandinavian style. Watch a video here.
- Charu Asopa celebrated her birthday with husband Rajeev Sen. Check out pictures and video from the bash.
- Bigg Boss runner-up Rahul Vaidya's fiancee Disha Parmar has shared a video of herself wearing one of his sweatshirts. "I wear my boyfriend's clothes," she wrote in her post.
- Himanshi Khurana performed to Salaam, originally picturised on Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, in a new video. Watch it here.
- Check out the latest video from Bigg Boss 14 winner Rubina Dilaik in which she is seen dancing with her husband Abhinav Shukla, to a folk song.
- Rahul Vaidya and Disha Parmar left Mumbai for a quick getaway. While they did not disclose their destination, he shared a picture from their helicopter ride together.
- Rakhi Sawant's ailing mother has said that she is disappointed that Rakhi didn't win Bigg Boss 14, but would like to see her and her husband, Ritesh, participate in the next season of the show.
- Aly Goni took a video of Jasmin Bhasin doing her make-up for his birthday party on Thursday night. She responded by dropping heart-eyes emojis in the comments section.
- Nikki Tamboli opened up about steam-ironing her ex-boyfriend's boxers in Bigg Boss 14 and said that it was not an attempt to grab eyeballs. She added that she was 'genuinely' missing him.
- Salman Khan took to Instagram and Twitter to share a 'mega selfie' from the sets of the Indian Pro Music League. The star-studded photo featured Riteish Deshmukh, Genelia D'Souza, Bobby Deol, Shraddha Kapoor, Govinda, Mika Singh, Rajkummar Rao, Karan Wahi, Javed Ali and many more.