Flab is fab. The mantra may make Bollywood’s anorexic starlets cringes, but a host of actors are happily putting on the pounds to prepare for their films. While film-makers feel gaining weight for a role may sometimes lend credibility to a character, actors are glad to comply, and binge.
The most recent actor to join the bandwagon is Hrithik Roshan, who confessed to gaining a lot of weight for his role in the film, Guzaarish. For the role of a magician, who has been restricted to a wheelchair, the 36-year-old gorged on junk food. “It was after 15 years that I had batata vada, samosa and all sorts of junk food, which I was not allowed to have earlier. I had to look like a person not in the pink of health,” Duggu, who gained 15kgs, said.
In June this year, Priyanka Chopra tweeted about how she was asked to gain weight for Vishal Bhardwaj’s upcoming film. The actor, who gained 4kgs for the role, posted, “I’ve been on a put-on-some-serious-weight kind of diet for Saat Khoon Maaf... yuck! I feel so unhealthy!”
Actor Vidya Balan, too, put on 5kgs for her role of a village belle in Vishal Bhardwaj’s Ishqiya, which released earlier this year. “Krishna (her character) is a typical Indian woman with a voluptuous figure. She requires curves to look good in a sari,” Vidya had said.
Newbie Zarine Khan, too, was put on a chocolate diet for months to gain weight for her debut film, Veer. Zarine, who weighed 54 kilos before the shoot, put on 8kgs in three months, after gorging on cakes and pastries. For his role in the 2007 film, Guru, actor Abhishek Bachchan gained 11kgs. “In a month, I managed to put on 11kgs for Guru. The weight I had gained for the film stayed on me in Drona and Dostana,” the actor had rued.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- In a new video, Rahul Vaidya revealed that he learnt how to make caramelised eggs from Aly Goni, knead dough from Jasmin Bhasin and even Rakhi Sawant taught him how to cook some dish.
- Videos of Shraddha Kapoor dancing at her cousin Priyaank Sharma's wedding in the Maldives are going viral on the internet.
- Alia Bhatt was seen in a bridal avatar in her new advertisement. Fans loved it and wished to see her get married in real life too. She is in a relationship with Ranbir Kapoor.
- Anil Kapoor joked that Jackie Shroff has threatened to slap him multiple times unless he confirms a film together. The two have starred in 12 films together, till date.
- WandaVision premiered its ninth and final episode on Friday. While it was a satisfying end to Marvel Cinematic Universe's first Phase 4 project, fans feel betrayed over a revelation made.
- Shehnaaz Gill said that she was not affected by the acid attack threats she got and the doctored videos made of her. She said that she is only gaining 'sympathy' in the process.
- Mahhi Vij, in a lengthy note, responded to accusations that she and Jay Bhanushali do not love their foster children Khushi and Rajveer as much as their biological daughter Tara.
- Judas and the Black Messiah movie review: Daniel Kaluuya and Lakeith Stanfield deliver extraordinary performances in Shaka King's politically charged film, co-produced by Ryan Coogler.
- Mika Singh talked about marriage on Indian Pro Music League. He said that he is the ‘only forever bachelor’ after Salman Khan and wishes to keep his tag for some time.
- Anushka Sharma and Virat Kohli met in a rather unconventional manner, during an ad shoot. While she was confident, he was a 'jittery and nervous'. Read the rest of the story here.