Comfy and smart, here's how you sport gym wear with swag!
Athleisure, a fashion trend which is an amalgam of the functionality of sportswear and the comfort of casual dressing, is a current celebrity favourite.fashion and trends Updated: Jun 25, 2015 16:52 IST
There was a time when gym wear, which mainly consists of leggings, running jackets, sweatpants, etc, was only restricted to the confines of a workout space. But now, the lines have blurred. While designers around the world are exploiting the fluidity of exercise wear to create new collections, celebrities in India and abroad, too, are increasingly opting for sportswear for appearances."We have entered the age of athleisure, where gym wear is worn even to places outside the gym. This is because these outfits are comfortable. If you pair them right, they become stylish too. So, once you are out of the house, you do not need to carry an extra pair for your fitness regime," says designer Hema Kaul.
Several celebrities, including the likes of Deepika Padukone, Priyanka Chopra, Kanye West, Taylor Swift and Rihanna, among others, have been spotted endorsing this trend. From slim sweats to bodycon leggings, of late, all of them have been seen sporting an eclectic range of athleisure outfits. Designer Neha Agarwal says, “Gym wear doesn’t necessarily have to look shabby and inappropriate for a coffee shop visit or even for work. A mix of comfort and smartness is a winning combination.”
(With inputs from designers Nachiket Barve and Nidhi Munim)
Dos and don’ts
* Don’t go overboard with the accessories; a minimal look works best in this case
* Choose clothes based on your body type. Something too tight or too loose might not give you the best results
* Purchase yoga pants that are opaque. Take a good look under proper lighting before you select a pair for yourself
* Always layer up. Throw on cool jackets over loose T-shirts and yoga pants to create a stylish look
* Avoid treating your exercise pants like your favourite pair of rugged jeans. They are more prone to wear and tear, so do not wear one pair too regularly
First Published: Jun 25, 2015 14:44 IST