For the love of your hair: Tips to keep your locks healthy
Improper food choices, hasty eating, work pressure and intense stress affects overall health, including your hair. Your ability to withstand stress without falling sick depends a lot on your body's nutritional state. Here are a few tips on how to keep your tresses healthy.Updated: Mar 03, 2015, 20:00 IST
We lose about 100 strands of hair in a day. Usually, they grow back. But when hair-thinning sets in, the growth of your mane is reduced. However, you have control over most of the factors responsible for great hair.
Improper food choices, hasty eating, work pressure and intense stress affects overall health, including your hair. Your ability to withstand stress without falling sick depends a lot on your body's nutritional state.
What causes hair loss?
* Stress caused by disease, emotional turmoil, hormonal imbalance and fever may cause hairfall.
* Repeated attempts at following fad diets are the worst things for health of hair.
* Over-zealous dieting, apart from causing hair loss, can also cause anemia, low thyroid levels and make your protein level dip.
* Pregnancy and the onset of menopause triggers hair loss in many women. There's an underlying link between hormones, nutrition and hair.
* Protein deficiency stunts hair growth and affects the process of replacing dead and fallen hair. Likewise, a deficiency in iron could prove fatal. Iron is the most important mineral for hair growth.
For healthy hair
* Start by eating a balanced, healthy diet. Cut back on sugar, junk food and eat more fresh products. Avoid drastic changes in your eating habits. Ensure that your body gets an adequate supply of vitamins, minerals and micronutrients. Zinc, vitamins B2 and A, folic acid are all important for hair health.
* One of the most important strategies for keeping your hair healthy and thick is to avoid sugar, as it accelerates hair loss. Eat adequate proteins as it strengthens your hair and makes it shine. Eat eggs regularly as it is rich in sulphur, which is beneficial for hair growth. Include bean sprouts and soya products in your diet.
Hair growth tips
Saw palmetto: This helps prevent conversion of testosterone into dihydrotestosterone (DHT), a mechanism that is involved in male pattern baldness. DHT kills hair follicles and saw palmetto prevents its formation.
B-Vitamin: If you have a hair loss problem, try taking a B Complex supplement along with Biotin. Biotin also helps in preventing or slowing down hair loss.
Evening primrose oil: This essential oil contains GLA or gama linolenic acid that helps prevent hair thinning and dryness. It normalises hormonal levels and keeps your hair healthy and shining.