Now lose weight in just 30 minutes
Gone are the days when losing weight meant exercising for hours at the gym. Now you can lose weight in the comfort of your home. It’s fast, easy and convenient and all you need is 30 minutes!health and fitness Updated: Oct 20, 2012 17:28 IST
Gone are the days when losing weight meant exercising for hours at the gym. Now you can lose weight in the comfort of your home. It’s fast, easy and convenient and all you need is 30 minutes!
“There are some excellent forms of freehand workouts which ensure fat loss as well as inch loss in an intense half-hour workout,” says Ramraj Yogi, owner of Well n Trim fitness studio, Churchgate. Here are a few workouts that can help you lose up to 100 to 200 calories in just half an hour.
1. Lie down on your back and keep your hands straight at the side, parallel to your body.
2. Bend your hands at the side in a rowing pose and raise your legs to 60 degrees. Using just your head, shoulder and chest, try to get up without disturbing the balance of the legs.
3. When in this position, do the action of rowing a boat. Repeat it 20 times without losing your balance.
4. Once the set of 20 is done, take a short break and do the workout again.
“This workout strengthens the core muscles and flattens the stomach. It also cuts down the flab from the upper arms. The rowing posture helps tone your body from head to toe. Three sets of 20 each of this workout will burn up to 150 calories,” says Yogi.
1. Using the support of a chair, bend your knees with your hands behind, holding on to the chair.
2. Bend your elbows and lower yourself a few inches. Hold the pose for a few seconds and then push back up.
3. Do a set of 10, rest for a moment and then repeat.
“This is mainly an exercise for the triceps, but if done for 15 minutes, it can burn up to 50 to 100 calories,” says Althea Shah, fitness expert at Gold’s Gym.
1. Lie down on your back. Bend both the legs and keep your hands straight at the side, parallel to your body.
2. Put your left leg on the right knee and keep your left hand stretched out at the side. Place your right hand below your head for support.
3. Using just your head, shoulder and chest, try to get up and touch your right elbow to the left knee.
4. Do a set of 20, rest for a moment and then repeat.
“Doing this workout cuts off the love handles over a period of time. While doing this set of abs, the oblique muscles in the body are twisted, which eventually burns the fat piled up in that area. Three sets of 20 each of this workout will burn up to 150 calories,” explains Yogi.
1. Keep your left leg a foot apart from the right and turn to the right side. Join your hands in the namaste pose behind your back.
2. Bend forward and stay in this posture for 30 seconds and then come back up.
3. Repeat the set with the other leg. Keep doing this workout for 30 minutes, changing the direction after each set.
“The forward bend stretches the cervical and loosens the stiff muscles, especially of the shoulders and hands. It tones the nervous system and keeps the senses proactive. It also strengthens your spinal cord and expands the lungs every time one does the stretch. Besides, a half-hour workout doing the forward stretch burns about 80 calories,” says Yogi.
First Published: Oct 16, 2012 13:53 IST