Dark Knight Rises rules the Golden Trailer Awards
Batman swooped into Los Angeles to snatch the top trophy for Best in Show at the 13th annual Golden Trailer Awards on May 31, as well as grabbing the prize for Best Summer 2012 Blockbuster trailer for The Dark Night Rises, the finale of Christopher Nolan's trilogy about the character played by Christian Bale.hollywood Updated: Jun 02, 2012 13:18 IST
Batman swooped into Los Angeles to snatch the top trophy for Best in Show at the 13th annual Golden Trailer Awards on May 31, as well as grabbing the prize for Best Summer 2012 Blockbuster trailer for The Dark Night Rises, the finale of Christopher Nolan's trilogy about the character played by Christian Bale.
But this ceremony honors the filmmakers of the 2:30 minute promotions of feature films, not the full-length motion pictures. Trailers have become increasingly popular entertainment online, not just in theaters, building excitement and buzz about a movie prior to release. Variety gives them "rock-star status."
The Golden Trailer Awards recognizes the art and creativity of the form. Co-founder Monica Brady, described the sound design of The Dark Knights Rises as "brilliant" -- from the haunting sound of a young boy singing to a crescendo of horns playing the Batman theme. "It's a very compelling trailer."
Despite superhero blockbusters on the big screen, female protagonists in films dominated the trailer winners, including Snow White and the Huntsman, releasing this weekend, last summer's hit Bridesmaids, and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Also, The Hunger Games took five Golden Trailer Awards for posters and print campaigns.
• Best in Show & Summer 2012 Blockbuster: The Dark Knight Rises "Chant" by Open Road Entertainment
• Best Action: Snow White and the Huntsman "Forever" by Wild Card
• Best Animation/Family: The Muppets "Their Movie" by Buddha Jones
• Best Comedy: Bridesmaids (Red Band version) by Workshop Creative
• Best Drama: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Mark Woollen & Associates
• Best Romance: Like Crazy by Ignition Creative
• Best Horror: The Devil Inside "Who" by Buddha Jones
• Best Independent: Take Shelter by The Grossmyth Company
• Best Documentary: George Harrison: Living in the Material World by The Ant Farm
• Best Thriller: The Grey "Teeth Redband" by Buddha Jones
• Most Original Trailer: Chronicle "Camera" by Buddha Jones
• Trashiest Trailer: Piranha 3DD by AV Squad
In addition, awards were presented for TV spots, technical categories and foreign films with winners including The Secret World of Arrietty (Japan) for Best Anime and Animated film, The Intouchables (Senator) by Trailerhaus GmbH for Best Comedy trailer, and Ralph Fiennes's Coriolanus by Create Advertising London for Best Graphics.
The 2012 Golden Trailer Awards jury included film executives, producers and directors such as Jon Favreau, the director of Iron Man, actor-comedian Patton Oswalt (Young Adult) and producer/director Ivan Reitman (Ghostbusters).
Watch the winning trailers at: http://www.youtube.com/user/goldentrailerawards
First Published: Jun 02, 2012 12:26 IST