Exclusive: Matt Damon hails Akshay Kumar for spotlighting open defecation crisis
Hollywood star Matt Damon and Bollywood star Akshay Kumar have something in common — apart from their global fan following. Akshay’s recent hit, Toilet: Ek Prem Katha deals with open defecation in India, an issue that Damon’s non-profit organisation, Water.org, has been addressing for years now.
In an exclusive chat with us, Damon says he’s delighted that Akshay decided to highlight this issue in a film. “It’s great to have stars like Akshay and films like Toilet: Ek Prem Katha spotlighting the open defecation crisis, as it helps to drive more awareness of not only the issues but also what can be done to tackle this and create change. Our organisation, Water.org, is dedicated to ending open defecation globally.
“I have seen first-hand the devastating effects on health, the threat to women and children, and the contamination of safe drinking water from open defecation. It’s clear to me that a person cannot thrive and reach their full potential without first having access to safe water to drink, and the dignity of a sanitary toilet,” says Damon, who last visited India in 2013 to monitor the Water.org projects here.
During that India trip, the actor was apparently fascinated by the massive influence of Indian movie stars, and he quite enjoyed the typical spicy Indian food, too. But what he remembers most clearly from that trip is his interaction with people, and he’s looking forward to coming back.
Damon says, “The people I’ve met in the cities and villages of India were gracious and welcoming. Meeting with people from various communities in Chennai, Mumbai, and Bangalore, I listened to them tell me [about] their wish to have toilets.”
The actor also met the people who had been helped by Water.org with building their own toilets. “[They] were very proud to show them to us,” says Damon. “This is what sticks out for me… people want to have their own bathrooms; to feel safe, clean, and to have their privacy protected. While I do not have a date scheduled for my next trip, I am looking forward to visiting India again soon.”
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The upcoming Justice League cut was accidentally leaked on the streaming platform HBO Max when subscribers tried to watch the Tom & Jerry movie.
- The Critics Choice Awards 2021 winners were announced on Sunday. Nomadland bagged four awards while late Chadwick Boseman received a posthumous award for Best Actor for Ma Rainey's Black Bottom.
- Chris Hemsworth, Natalie Portman and director Taika Waititi are currently filming Thor: Love and Thunder in Australia. A few photos and a video from the sets have leaked online.
- Chrissy Teigen took to Instagram to post pictures and videos from a recent night out with husband, singer John Legend, where she enjoyed some popular Bollywood music.
- Judas and the Black Messiah movie review: Daniel Kaluuya and Lakeith Stanfield deliver extraordinary performances in Shaka King's politically charged film, co-produced by Ryan Coogler.
- Coming 2 America movie review: Eddie Murphy and Arsenio Hall reunite for the dull and boring sequel to their cult hit.
- Raya and the Last Dragon movie review: Kelly Marie Tran and Awkwafina put their own twist on the Mulan-Mushu dynamic in Disney's latest animated adventure.
- Chris Evans shared a video montage of his friend visiting the sets of Captain America: The First Avenger and reacting to his scenes.
- Kristen Stewart has been filming for her upcoming movie, Spencer. The Twilight star plays the role of Princess Diana in the movie.
- Nick Jonas revealed he began the making of his upcoming album Spaceman when his wife and actor Priyanka Chopra was filming for The Matrix 4 in Germany.
- Actor Gal Gadot and her husband Jaron Varsano are expecting their third child together. The Wonder Woman actor posted a cute family picture to make the announcement.
- Chadwick Boseman's wife Simone Ledward broke down while accepting his posthumous Golden Globe for Ma Rainey's Black Bottom.
- Mark Ruffalo received the Best Actor in a Limited Series or TV Movie for I Know This Much Is True... at the Golden Globe Awards 2021. The actor, in his acceptance speech, spoke about "Mother Earth."
- The Golden Globe Awards 2021 winners were announced on Sunday, February 28. From The Crown to Schitt's Creek and I Care A Lot, here’s who bagged the trophies.
- The Golden Globe Awards 2021 took place this weekend and Twitter couldn't help but point out the chaos that unfolded at the awards show.