George Clooney, wife Amal donate $1 million towards coronavirus relief
Power couple George and Amal Clooney are the latest Hollywood personalities to make significant contributions to help navigate the devastation caused by the coronavirus pandemic. According to Deadline, the couple has donated over $1 million directed towards six different funds and charities in need.
The Clooneys have pitched in $250,000 each to The Motion Picture and Television home, where the actor is a board member, the SAG-AFTRA FUND, and Los Angeles Mayors Fund. An additional $300,000 has also been presented to three international charities - Lebanese Food Bank, Lombardo Italy Region and the National Health System in the UK.
While the Motion Picture and Television Fund provides temporary financial assistance for needs created or complicated by the COVID-19 pandemic, the SAG-AFTRA Foundation COVID-19 relief fund helps cover member grants for health premiums, food, shelter and medical expense. The Mayor’s Fund for Los Angeles supports the Emergency COVID-19 fund to help provide childcare for the city’s first responders and healthcare workers, help with shelter for the homeless, the feeding the elderly and offering direct financial assistance to the locals that have been impacted. The Lebanese Food Bank feeds the needy unable to work, the elderly, the disabled, those with chronic diseases, single mothers and orphans.
The Lombardo Italy Region directly support hospitals in the Lombardo region that are facing the ongoing health crisis. Italy has been the worst-hit country to be affected by pandemic. Finally, the National Health Service COVID-19 appeal supports hospital staff and volunteers at the front line who are caring for COVID-19 patients.
Other Hollywood celebs who have made contributions towards COVID-19 relief efforts include Ryan Reynolds-Blake Lively, Angelina Jolie, Rihanna, Kylie Jenner, Shawn Mendes, Jay-Z and others.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Actor Armie Hammer was contacted by the Cayman Islands police after they received a complaint about a video he posted on a private Instagram account. The video showed a woman posing on all-fours in a hotel room.
- The White Tiger movie review: Adarsh Gourav delivers a star-making performance in Ramin Bahrani's angry answer to Slumdog Millionaire, co-starring Priyanka Chopra Jonas and Rajkummar Rao.
- Actor Tom Holland spoke about the arduous audition process for Spider-Man in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and the time he thought he'd be fired from the role.
- A life-size cutout of Ana de Armas was trashed outside Ben Affleck's house, amid reports of their breakup.
- Joe and Anthony Russo are bringing their Marvel Cinematic Universe experience to fleshing out the Extraction franchise, director Sam Hargrave has said.
- Celebrity couple Justin Timberlake and Jessica Biel have welcomed their second child, a year after he publicly apologised for inappropriate behaviour amid cheating rumours.
- Priyanka Chopra has shared Jungle Mantra, an original song from the White Tiger soundtrack, by Divine, featuring Vince Staples and Pusha T. Listen here.
- Actor Ray Fisher has released a lengthy statement confirming his removal from the upcoming Flash movie, amid his standoff with Warner Bros.
- Actor Armie Hammer announced that he is quitting his upcoming film, amid a scandal around messages that he allegedly sent a woman.
- Patralekhaa spotted Rajkummar Rao on a hoarding of The White Tiger in New York and shared a picture on Instagram stories. She reminisced about his incredible journey, from Gurugram to New York.