Karan Soni was surprised when Ryan Reynolds upgraded Dopinder in Deadpool 2
From being a random city cab driver to becoming Deadpool’s “friend”, Dopinder has come a long way and Indian-origin actor Karan Soni, who essays the role in the superhero franchise says he is happy with the growth of his character in the upcoming Deadpool 2.
It was his heart-to-heart conversation with Ryan Reynolds’ Merc With the Mouth in the first film that struck a chord with not only the audiences, but also the makers, who decided to give him more significant screen time in the sequel.
“The sequel takes place two years after the first film. My character, Dopinder, has now been fully hired by Deadpool as his getaway driver. He is working 100% for Deadpool... I get to do a lot of different things in this film.
“The second one is more about Dopinder working with Deadpool and being like ‘I am ready for more stuff’. He is more into work and career stuff than love. But it’s really fun. The storyline, where it goes, everyone will be surprised. I even get a catchphrase,” Karan told PTI in a telephonic interview from Los Angeles.
The 29-year-old actor says, while Deadpool is unsure if Dopinder is ready to risk his life as the anti-hero fights Cable (Josh Brolin) in the upcoming film, Karan says his character is on a quest to prove that he is “ready for more”.
“Dopinder wants to help Deadpool fight... To become a superhero. But Deadpool right away says ‘You’re gonna die’ and ‘There’s no way you’re gonna do it’. So, Dopinder has to prove to him that he is ready to take on more responsibility,” he adds.
Even though the makers had signed Karan for four films, the actor was doubtful whether his character would feature in the sequel.
Much to his surprise, Reynolds informed him about his return soon after the success of the 2016 movie.
“When I signed up, it was for four movies because the writers and Ryan always had a plan that the character should be in more than one movie.
“When the first movie came out and did exceptionally well, they decided to make a sequel right away. I got an email from Ryan two years ago, saying ‘You’re going to be in sequel.’ So I was really excited, but I didn’t know what my story was and what I’ll be doing in it. I had a feeling that I might be doing the same thing but then I read the script. I was really surprised because he gave me like all the cool stuff to do,” Karan says.
The actor, however, was a “little intimidated” about his character getting a meatier chunk in the film.
“I honestly was like ‘oh, I hope I can pull this off’. But it was really fun and it was nice of Ryan to put me in the film a lot more. I personally loved working with him as well as with new cast members Josh Brolin and Zazie Beetz,” he adds.
Dopinder’s introduction scene in the first film became a big hit with Indian audiences, courtesy screen legend Raj Kapoor’s classic song “Mera Joota Hai Japani” playing the background.
Karan, however, is clueless if any of the popular Hindi tracks will be included in Deadpool 2.
“I have not seen the film. I am going to see it for the first time on May 14 in New York at the premiere. So I don’t know. When we filmed all that stuff, they never played the songs. We had to pretend the songs were playing in the background. They put the songs later.
“There is a whole bit in the opening where I am listening to music. So I pretended to listen to music in that scene,” he says.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Nick Jonas revealed he began the making of his upcoming album Spaceman when his wife and actor Priyanka Chopra was filming for The Matrix 4 in Germany.
- Actor Gal Gadot and her husband Jaron Varsano are expecting their third child together. The Wonder Woman actor posted a cute family picture to make the announcement.
- Chadwick Boseman's wife Simone Ledward broke down while accepting his posthumous Golden Globe for Ma Rainey's Black Bottom.
- Mark Ruffalo received the Best Actor in a Limited Series or TV Movie for I Know This Much Is True... at the Golden Globe Awards 2021. The actor, in his acceptance speech, spoke about "Mother Earth."
- The Golden Globe Awards 2021 winners were announced on Sunday, February 28. From The Crown to Schitt's Creek and I Care A Lot, here’s who bagged the trophies.
- The Golden Globe Awards 2021 took place this weekend and Twitter couldn't help but point out the chaos that unfolded at the awards show.
- Hollywood Foreign Press Association (HFPA) were called out by several celebrities for their lack of diversity in their ranks. After stars chanted "Time's Up Globes", the HFPA issued a statement assuring a change in the making.
- The Golden Globes 2021 winners will be announced on February 28 (March 1 in India). Here's what time the 78th Golden Globe Awards will commence and how to watch the show.
- Miley Cyrus shared a throwback picture of her and singer Nick Jonas. The two Disney alums were rumoured to be dating when they were younger.