A welcome step, says Ishrat Jahan on Cabinet’s executive order on triple talaq

The Union Cabinet on Wednesday signed off on an ordinance to make instant triple talaq an offence.
Ishrat Jahan is one of the five petitioners in the case against instant triple talaq.(HT File Photo)
Ishrat Jahan is one of the five petitioners in the case against instant triple talaq.(HT File Photo)
Updated on Sep 19, 2018 10:28 PM IST
Copy Link
Kolkata | ByPress Trust of India

Ishrat Jahan, a petitioner in the triple talaq case, Wednesday welcomed the union cabinet’s decision to bring an ordinance to make the practice a penal offence.

It is a big step towards “empowering Muslim women” in the country, she said.

Muslim men and religious leaders should now mend “their ways or be ready to face the music”, she said.

“I welcome the Centre’s decision to bring an ordinance to make triple talaq a penal offence. It is a huge step towards empowering Muslim women in the country,” Jahan told PTI.

She is one of the five petitioners in the case against instant triple talaq. The practice of instant triple talaq was struck down by the Supreme Court on August 22 last year.

Watch: Triple Talaq Ordinance: More empowerment for Muslim women or mere politics?

 

Jahan moved court after she was divorced by her husband over phone from Dubai by uttering ‘talaq’ thrice consecutively in 2014. She has a 13-year-old daughter and a seven-year-old son.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Close Story
SHARE
Story Saved
OPEN APP
×
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Tuesday, December 07, 2021