Narendra Modi Xi Jinping summit highlights- India-China to set up high level mechanism to discuss trade, investment
On Day 2 of India China informal summit, Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Chinese president Xi Jinping engaged in a one-on-one meet at Tamil Nadu’s Taj Fisherman's Cove Resort and Spa on Saturday. After the meet, the two leaders held delegation level talks at the Tango Hall of the 5-star hotel in Mamallapuram. This will be followed by a lunch hosted by PM Modi. The Chinese president will then head to Nepal for a two day visit.
Kashmir issue not raised in Modi-Xi meeting
When questioned if China’s stand came up during Modi- Xi meeting, the Foreign Secretary Vijay Gokhale said the issue wasn’t raised during the talks. However, India’s stand on Kashmir is anyway very clear that this is an internal matter of India.1:45 pm IST
Focus of Modi- Xi meeting on people-to-people relations
The focus of the Modi- Xi meeting was primarily on people-to-people relations of India and China, the Foreign Secretary Vijay Gokhale said.1:41 pm IST
Need autonomous policies over international, regional issues: Modi, Xi
During the meeting both PM Narendra Modi and Chinese president Xi Jinping emphasised on having autonomous policies over international and regional issues.1:35 pm IST
Need to step up cooperation in the defence sector: Xi Jinping
Chinese president Xi Jinping said that the India and China need to step up cooperation in the defence sector, Foreign Secretary Vijay Gokhale said at the press conference1:33 pm IST
Informal summit has produced visible progress: Foreign Secretary
“The informal summit has produced visible progress,” Foreign Secretary Vijay Gokhale said in press briefing after PM Modi and Chinese presidents held delegation level talks during the second India China informal summit.1:21 pm IST
Xi Jinping departs from Mamallapuram resort
After delegation level talks with Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Chinese president Xi Jinping departed from Tamil Nadu’s Taj Fisherman's Cove Resort and Spa . He will now head to Nepal for a two-day visit.1:16 pm IST
PM Modi presents hand-woven silk portrait to Xi Jinping
PM Narendra Modi presented a hand-woven silk portrait to Xi Jinping before the Chinese president left for Nepal on his two-day visit. The portrait was created by weavers of Sri Ramalinga Sowdambigai Handloom Weavers Co-operative Society in Sirumugaipudur in Tamil Nadu’s Coimbatore district.12:08 pm IST
‘Memorable experience’, says Xi Jinping
After the one-on-one meet with Prime Minister Narenrda Modi, Chinese president Xi Jinping said that his experience in Chennai will be a memorable one. He said that he and his colleagues were really overwhelmed by India’s hospitality.
“Yesterday Prime Minister (Narendra Modi) as you said, you and I had engaged in candid conversations like friends, heart to heart discussions on bilateral relations,” he said.12:04 pm IST
‘Wuhan gave new momentum, Chennai Connect will give new direction’: PM
Ahead of delegation talks, the PM issued a statement saying Wuhan spirit gave new momentum, while Chennai Connect will give new direction to India China ties.11:50 am IST
Won’t let differences become disputes, PM Modi tells Chinese prez
“We had decided that we would manage our differences prudently and won’t let them become a dispute and that we would sensitively take care of each other’s concerns and make sure to ensure universal peace,” the Prime Minister said ahead of delegation talks with the Chinese president Xi Jinping.11:45 am IST
Chennai connect marks new era: PM Modi tells Xi Jinping
In his opening remarks before the delegation level talks, Prime Minister Narendra Modi told Chinese president Xi Jinping that the Chennai connect marks a new era in India-China cooperation.11:15 am IST
India, China should respect, learn from each other, says Beijing
In an official statement on Saturday, India and China agreed to “promote exchanges and mutual learning among civilizations.”
The statement was issued by official news agency, Xinhua. Later in the day, Beijing is expected to release a more detailed statement on the outcome of the 2nd India China informal summit.10:30 am IST
PM Modi, Xi Jinping likely to issue statements after meet
The Prime Minister and Chinese president are likely to issue statements after their one-on-one meet at the resort.
Today’s meeting will focus on international and regional issues, as per Foreign Secretary Vijay Gokhale, reported news agency ANI.10:10 pm IST
PM Modi, Xi Jinping begin one-on-one talks at Mamallapuram resort
PM Modi and Xi Jinping have begun one-on-one talks at Mamallapuram resort. Post the one-on-one meeting, two leaders will engage in delegation level talks.9:55 am IST
PM Modi, Xi Jinping to reach Kovalam
PM Modi and Chinese president Xi Jinping are scheduled to reach Taj’s Cove Resort and Spa in Kovalam.
The two leaders will then engage in a one-on-one meet at Machaan in the 5-star hotel, which we followed by delegation-level talks at the Tango Hall of the hotel.9:35 am IST
PM begins Day 2 of summit with plogging on Mamallapuram beach
Before heading to meet Chinese president Xi Jinping, Prime Minister Narendra Modi took a walk at a beach in Mamallapuram. He was also seen plogging on the beach. He handed over his ‘collection’ to Jeyaraj, who is a part of the hotel staff.
“Let us ensure our public places are clean and tidy! Let us also ensure we remain fit and healthy,” the Prime Minister tweeted along with a video.
9:15 am IST
Plogging at a beach in Mamallapuram this morning. It lasted for over 30 minutes.— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) October 12, 2019
Also handed over my ‘collection’ to Jeyaraj, who is a part of the hotel staff.
Let us ensure our public places are clean and tidy!
Let us also ensure we remain fit and healthy. pic.twitter.com/qBHLTxtM9y
PM Modi takes a walk at Mamallapuram beach
Prime Minister Narendra Modi took a ‘refreshing walk’ at a beach in Mamallapuram early Saturday. The PM tweeted photos where he was seen walking by the sea and exercising using a wooden acupressure dumbbell.
Day 2 of India China informal summit set to begin
The second day of India China informal summit will begin shortly. Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Chinese president Xi Jinping are set to hold a one-on-one meet and delegation level talks before the Chinese president heads for Nepal.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- India’s sedition law has an interesting past — it was introduced by the British in 1870, decided to be dropped from the Constitution in 1948 after discussions of the Constituent Assembly.
- India will also promote tourism by celebrating 2022 as the Visit India Year through a promotion campaign highlighting India’s strengths like heritage, culture, art, wellness and yoga.
- The ADG has constituted teams of police personnel from Aligarh to assist the Hathras police.
- The incident took place on Sunday afternoon, when the girl went to a wheat field, owned by the family of the accused, to collect fodder and water.
- The provisions under the new rules relate to the code of ethics for digital news publishers, setting up of a grievance redressal system and the requirement of disclosure of information to Centre, the ministry said.
- The instrument will support the 3.6 metre Devasthal Optical Telescope (DOT) in Uttarakhand, an official release from the department of science said on Wednesday.
- Lt-Gen BS Raju said a quiet LoC will allow us to address the challenge of terrorism in a focused manner.
- The central agency has registered a case on the basis of an FIR registered by Chennai Economic Offences Wing in September last year.
- Dhyani added that the burden on the ecology due to construction on Himalayan slopes made the region prone to disasters.
- Navlakha claimed in his petition filed through advocate Shadan Farasat that the 90-day period for filing of charge sheet was over and he was entitled to default bail under Section 167(2) of the Code of Criminal Procedure (CrPC).
- Lama was being considered as the GJM candidate for the Kalimpong assembly seat in the coming polls later this month.
- Unhappy with the response, the bench headed by Chief Justice of India (CJI) SA Bobde asked Solicitor General Tushar Mehta to appear in the case along with Additional Solicitor General (ASG) Vikramjeet Banerjee, who presented the note to the Court.
- The officer withdrew his request after an orthopaedic surgeon said his purpose would not be served by buying a horse.