News updates from HT: Suvendu Adhikari's new challenge ahead of Bengal elections
Here are today’s top news, analysis and opinion. Know all about the latest news and other news updates from Hindustan Times.
'Whoever contests from Nandigram...': Suvendu Adhikari's new challenge
Two days after West Bengal chief minister and Trinamool supremo Mamata Banerjee announced that she would contest from Nandigram in the upcoming West Bengal Assembly Election 2021, BJP leader Suvendu Adhikari on Wednesday said Banerjee is relying on 62,000 votes while he has 2.13 lakh people to chant 'Jai Shri Ram'. Read more.
Farm laws: SC irked over criticism of court-appointed committee members
Faced with criticism over the appointment of a four-member committee to hear farmers’ point of view on the validity of farm laws, the Supreme Court on Wednesday said there was no question of bias as the committee has not been given any adjudicatory powers. Read more.
Newly-wed Gauahar Khan looks beautiful in makhmal suit on honeymoon with Zaid
New bride Gauahar Khan recently came back from her honeymoon in Udaipur with husband Zaid Darbar. The actor has been sharing serene views from the city of lakes along with her stunning sartorial moments from the trip. The latest post that Gauahar shared on Instagram shows her posing with Zaid and gushing over him. Read more.
Kangana Ranaut breaks silence on Arnab Goswami saying she is ‘sexually possessed with’ Hrithik Roshan in leaked chats
Actor Kangana Ranaut finally broke her silence on news anchor Arnab Goswami’s leaked WhatsApp messages, which claim that she is ‘schizophrenic’ and has ‘erotomania’. In the chat, he alleged that she is ‘sexually possessed with’ actor Hrithik Roshan. Read more.
Deus ex machina: Two decades apart, India do the unexpected against Aussies
The year was 1999 and there was a lot of anticipation in everyone about what lay ahead. It was the end of a century and the beginning of another. In India, it was a time of great change. 'Growth' was the buzz word in every walk of life. Read more.
Doraemon’s Nobita has finally married Shizuka and tweeple just can’t keep calm
If you’ve grown up watching the adorable anime cartoon Doraemon then you may be familiar with the cartoon’s protagonist Nobita Nobi. An average student and a failure in almost every chore, Nobita was a mess until the robo-cat Doraemon enters his life. Read more.
Watch: India sends Covishield vaccines to Bhutan & Maldives
India on Wednesday sent coronavirus vaccines to Bhutan and Maldives. India is sending doses of the Covishield vaccine. Trucks with Covishield left from Pune’s Serum Institute of India for Bhutan. The move is in keeping with India’s “neighborhood first” policy. Watch here.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- According to Indian agencies, the JeI has maintained that J&K is a disputed territory.
- Interestingly, the election of the six YSRC members comes at a time when a resolution adopted by the Jagan Mohan Reddy government in the state assembly in January 2020, seeking abolition of the legislative council, is still pending with the Union home ministry.
- When the matter came up before a bench of Justices Ashok Bhushan and R Subhash Reddy on Friday, the bench adjourned it to April 7 as it had no time for a full fledged hearing.
- Madhya Pradesh chief minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan also held a review meeting on Friday to discuss with the divisional commissioners the steps being taken to contain the spread of the infection.
- There is a cost difference of about 25-30 per cent in containers made in India and abroad.
- After an agreement last month on pulling back frontline troops along with armoured vehicles and artillery from strategic heights around Pangong Lake, the two sides have been unable to make progress on disengagement at other friction points such as Depsang, Hot Springs and Gogra.
- According to state government figures, between 2011 and 2019, at least 90 elephants have fallen prey to electrocution.
- Australian PM Scott Morrison said the Quad Summit was one of the first things he and US president Joe Biden had discussed.
- The bench of Justices Ashok Bhushan and R Subhash Reddy issued notice to Sivasankar on ED’s plea but refused to stay the HC order. The bench enquired from the counsel for Sivasankar if he was already out of jail.