Sterlite copper plant in Thoothukudi will not be reopened, says district collector | india news | Hindustan Times
  • Monday, Jul 30, 2018
  •   °C  
Today in New Delhi, India
Jul 30, 2018-Monday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Sterlite copper plant in Thoothukudi will not be reopened, says district collector

The plant was closed in May after 13 people were killed in police firing during protests against the plant on allegations of causing health and environmental issues.

india Updated: Jul 30, 2018 20:11 IST
M Manikandan
M Manikandan
Hindustan Times, Chennai
Sterlite plant Thoothukudi,Sterlite Tuticorin news,Sterlite copper Tuticorin latest news
According to the Thoothukudi district collector, the Tamil Nadu government had taken a policy decision in closing the Sterlite copper smelter plant.(Reuters File Photo)

The controversial Sterlite copper smelter unit in Tamil Nadu’s Thoothukudi will not be reopened, the district administration assured on Monday and urged people not to believe rumours.

The Vedanta-owned plant was closed in May after 13 people were killed in police firing during protests against the plant based on allegations of causing health and environmental issues.

According to Sandeep Nanduri, collector, Thoothukudi district, the state government had taken a policy decision in closing the Sterlite copper smelter plant.

“As the Tamil Nadu government has passed an order for the closure of the copper smelter, we have terminated water, electricity and other facilities to the unit. So there are no chances of reopening it again. People need not panic because of rumors and falsehoods,” he said.

Nanduri pointed out that about 99% of the sulphuric acid leak inside the plant had been removed post closure.

“We have removed most of the sulphuric acid, phosphoric acid and other acids. We are unable to remove materials like gypsum, rock phosphate and copper concentrate. However, we will neutralise them by adding necessary components to it,” he said.

The district administration had opened a dedicated website to provide employment for people who lost their jobs due to the closure of the Sterlite plant, he said.

“We have received 400 registrations till now through the website. Soon, we will ensure that they get alternate jobs,” he said.

Earlier on Monday, the Madurai bench of Madras high court, comprising justices C T Selvam and Basheer Ahmed asked the state government to inform it about who issued the orders for the police firing, which resulted in the death of 13 protesters.

First Published: Jul 30, 2018 18:22 IST