Congress president Sonia Gandhi.(HT Photo)
Congress president Sonia Gandhi.(HT Photo)

Waited for one year but no clarity yet on Galwan clashes: Sonia

Gandhi also contended that the disengagement agreement with China has only worked entirely to India’s disadvantage.
By HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times, New Delhi
UPDATED ON JUN 16, 2021 04:54 AM IST

Congress president Sonia Gandhi on Tuesday attacked the Narendra Modi government for not providing any clarity about the Galwan Valley clash between Indian and Chinese troops that took place on June 15 last year, leaving 20 Indian soldiers and an undisclosed number of Chinese troops dead.

The Congress president said that her party has repeatedly sought information about the episode and details on what progress has been made by the government to return to the status quo ante before April 2020 along the friction points on the Line of Actual Control (LAC).

“Having patiently waited for the government to come clean and inform the nation about the circumstances in which the unprecedented incident happened and reassure the people that the sacrifice of our brave jawans was not in vain, the Congress reiterates its concern that no clarity is yet available and the Prime Minister’s last word on the subject a year ago was that no transgression had occurred,” Gandhi said in a statement on the deadliest face-off between the Indian Army and the People’s Liberation Army in more than five decades.

Gandhi also contended that the disengagement agreement with China has only worked entirely to India’s disadvantage. She urged the government “to take the nation into confidence and ensure that their performance is worthy of the commitment of our soldiers who are standing bravely and resolutely at the borders”.

Congress leader Rahul Gandhi also paid tributes to the 20 Indian soldiers killed in action. “I join a grateful nation in remembering the 20 brave jawans of the Bihar Regiment, including their commanding officer who tragically lost their lives in a confrontation with PLA troops in Galwan on the night of 15-16 June, 2020,” he said in an Instagram post.

He also posted a video montage of his press conference from last year in which he had claimed that the Prime Minister did not fulfil his responsibility of protecting the sovereignty of India. “There are many questions that remain unanswered of that incident and many explanations this government owes to our people,” Rahul Gandhi said in the post.

The BJP did not react to Gandhi’s statement.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Close
SHARE
Story Saved
OPEN APP