100 hurt in gas leak at Tata Motors plant
About a hundred people have been taken to hospital after inhaling chlorine gas leaking from a water filter plant of Tata Motors in Jamshedpur.india Updated: May 28, 2008 11:40 IST
About a hundred people were taken to hospital after inhaling chlorine leaking at the site of Indian carmaker Tata Motors in east India, an official said Wednesday.
The gas leaked from an abandoned chlorine tank at a water treatment plant at the company township in Jamshedpur in eastern Jharkhand state, deputy commissioner Ravindra Agarwal said.
"People complained of respiratory problems and some started vomiting," Agarwal said.
Most of the affected people were sent home after being given first-aid late Tuesday, but about 20 were still undergoing treatment, the official said.
The gas leak had been plugged, Tata Motors said in a statement.