Chhattisgarh govt snubs findings, defends top cops
The Chhattisgarh government has raised objections against the union home ministry’s demand for action against two top officers in connection with last month’s Maoist attack in Dantewada that killed 76 security personnel.Updated: May 26, 2010 00:49 IST
The Chhattisgarh government has raised objections against the union home ministry’s demand for action against two top officers in connection with last month’s Maoist attack in Dantewada that killed 76 security personnel.
The state government expressed surprise over findings of the E.N. Rammohan Committee which probed the April 6 attack, saying the conclusions did not reflect the situation on the ground. The findings had prompted the home ministry to ask for action.
Referring to a letter from union home secretary G.K. Pillai to state chief secretary Joy Oommen asking for action against Inspector General of Bastar TJ Long Kumeer and SP Dantewada Amresh Mishra, sources in the state government said on Tuesday it was surprising that Rammohan was not aware where the slain CRPF personnel were heading.
The four counts on which the home ministry has sought action against Kumeer and Mishra have been countered by the state government. The first count was intelligence input about presence of Naxals in Mukram forests was not shared with the CRPF. Officials asked why this input had to be shared with the CRPF as their position was Burlapal, a place six km away from the scene.
The officials said the CRPF team had been misleading their own control room about their location and had fudged the log entries, which has come to light during subsequent enquiries.
The other charge was that the two officers should have jointly monitored the operations. The state officials said a joint control room had not been set up because of a CRPF decision, which the Rammohan panel did not go into.
The third charge was that an IAF chopper was not pressed into service from Jagdalpur when reports of the incident came at 6 am. The state officials say the initial report was two CRPF men were injured so chopper would not have got permission to be fly and that the IG of any range could not order for flying of the chopper.
First Published: May 26, 2010 00:48 IST