Congress sees red over Lalit Modi's allegation against Pranab
Party terms as 'condemnable' Modi's reported allegations that Mukherjee, as finance minister in the former UPA government, spearheaded the 'revenge' politics against him.india Updated: Jun 19, 2015 16:01 IST
Congress on Friday demanded that the government bring Lalit Modi back to India to face charges, a day after reports emerged that the former IPL boss blamed President Pranab Mukherjee for the Enforcement Directorate's cases against him.
The opposition party also termed as "condemnable" Modi's reported allegations that Mukherjee, as finance minister in the former UPA government, spearheaded the "revenge" politics against him.
"Allegations against the President are condemnable. What is the government doing to bring him back? Why red corner notice has not been issued to him?
"Why the government has not approached the Supreme Court to cancel passport issued to Lalit Modi?" Congress spokesperson Meem Afzal asked.
According to a report in the Times of India, the former IPL commissioner accused Mukherjee of ordering the ED probe in retaliation to Congress leader Shashi Tharoor's sacking as minister of state for external affairs over the IPL Kochi controversy.
"It was clear even before Tharoor resigned that Congress was furious over my decision to reveal Tharoor's ownership interest in the Kochi bid," Modi had reportedly said in his plea to the UK authorities while seeking permission to stay "as a representative of an overseas business."
The former IPL commissioner has been living in London since 2010, after the ED filed notices against him for alleged money laundering and forex violations in connection with the cricket league.
Modi's cases came into media focus earlier this week after reports revealed that external affairs minister Sushma Swaraj had helped him get travel papers to Portugal. After the controversy blew up, he claimed in an interview that Rajasthan chief minister Vasundhara Raje had secretly backed his immigration plea in Britain.
Congress spokesperson Afzal also alleged that the government was trying to save Swaraj and Raje by remaining silent over the controversy.
Afzal asked whether Modi would break his silence only when he would be the target of attack by the former IPL chief.
The government will have to say what action is being taken against the tainted cricket administrator, he said.
First Published: Jun 19, 2015 15:55 IST