Govt contradicts Amit Shah on Burdwan blast
The government on Wednesday told Parliament it had found no link between the Burdwan blast, and the multi-crore Saradha scam in the state. The statement is contrary to BJP chief Amit Shah's allegation.india Updated: Dec 04, 2014 00:47 IST
The government Wednesday contradicted Bharatiya Janata Party chief Amit Shah's allegation that money from Saradha chit fund was used in the October 2 blast in West Bengal's Burdwan saying the probe has so far not revealed any connection.
Jitendra Singh, minister of state in the prime minister's office, in a written reply in Rajya Sabha said there was "no link". The minister also clarified there was no evidence yet that money from the scam was sent to Bangladesh.
"The investigation has so far not revealed any such transaction where money was routed to Bangladesh to fund terrorist activities," Singh told the House.
Shah, while speaking in Kolkata on Sunday, had alleged that Mamata Banerjee's government and her party, Trinamool Congress, were
shielding the accused in the Saradha scam.
"Saradha chit fund money was used in the Burdwan blast. The NIA is not being allowed to probe the blast properly. Hurdles are being
created. It is being done in order to save TMC leaders who are involved in the blast," Shah had alleged, attacking the Trinamool Congress.
The minister was asked whether the government has sought details of the probe into the Saradha chit fund scam after reports indicated that a part of the money was routed to Bangladesh to fund terror activities. Singh replied that government has not sought details of the
To another question on whether the Saradha chief has admitted that he paid large sums to several people to influence the case in his
favour, Singh said "the matter is under investigation."
As the Opposition, especially the Trinamool attacked Shah, Union minister Babul Supriyo, elected on BJP ticket from West Bengal, expressed surprise over Singh's statement and alleged that the ruling party in Bengal and its MPs had links with terror plot in Bangladesh.
"I came to know about Jitendra Singh's statement a little while back. There is a different reason. There were a lot of responsible minds who acted very fast to ensure that the state government has evidence, proofs and it has been recorded in front of several TV cameras," Supriyo told reporters outside Parliament.
"The state government was instrumental in destroying evidence that could prove state government's, TMC's or their MPs' connection with the terror plot that is not only West Bengal centric but also finds its way into Bangladesh and neighbouring countries," he said.
"So it was very smart of the central government to get NIA into the act. NIA is right now doing a very comprehensive research into the entire act. I got to know what Jitendra Singh said a while ago. I need to find out why he said so."
On October 2, a blast in a house in the Khagragarh area of Burdwan in West Bengal killed two people and critically injured a third person.
Investigators suspect people who were living in the house belong to a Bangladeshi militant organisation known as the Jamaat-ul-Mujahideen Bangladesh.
First Published: Dec 03, 2014 13:58 IST