Want freedom in India, not from India: Top quotes from Kanhaiya’s speech
Kanhaiya Kumar, president of the Jawaharlal Nehru University’s students’ union, has accused the Narendra Modi government of trying to suppress JNU’s voice to hide its failures to fulfil its poll promises.
Returning to the campus on his release from jail three weeks after his arrest on sedition charges, the student leader on Thursday night hurled barbs and took digs at Prime Minister Modi, RSS and ABVP.
Kumar’s fiery speech targeted the promise of bringing back black money, the slogan of “sabka saath sabka vikas”, PM’s monthly radio programme “Mann ki Baat” and took a dig at Modi’s tweet of Satyamev Jayate
Here are the top 10 quotes of Kanhaiya Kumar’s speech:
1. We are not seeking ‘azaadi’(freedom) from India. We want ‘azaadi’ within India.
2. I have many differences with the PM but I agree with his tweet Satyameva Jayate because these words are in our Constitution .
3. They had made promises of bringing black money, reducing black money and of sab ka sath sabka vikas. But they want us to forget these “jumlas”. We will not let people forget it.
4.The more you suppress us we will stand up more. Its a long fight. We will continue fight without bowing down. We will fight against RSS and BJP. We have created history we will create history. We will fight. We will win.
5. Modiji only says ‘mann ki baat’, but doesn’t listen to it.
6. I come from a village where there are a magic shows. People show magic and sell rings that fulfill all wishes...We have some people like that in our country, who say black money will come back, sabka saath sabka vikas (development for all).
7. We truly believe in democracy and Constitution. We don’t look at the ABVP as an enemy, we look at them like the Opposition.
8. This attack (on JNU) is to delegitimise the UGC protests, to prevent justice to Rohith Vemula(the dalit scholar in Hyderabad who committed suicide.
9. If you speak against the government, their (government’s) cyber cell will frame you using doctored videos and count the number of condoms in your hostel.
10. I salute those soldiers dying at the borders. But what about farmers committing suicides in abject poverty? Those farmers are the fathers of majority of those soldiers. My father is a farmer, my brother is a soldier.
(With inputs from PTI)
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Under the Trekking Traction Homestay Scheme, villages near important and popular trekking routes are being developed by the tourism department as trekking clusters.
- Congress leaders accused the police of using force to create a nuisance during a peaceful protest of farmers and Congress workers.
- Taking a cue from Prime Minister Narendra Modi calling Uttarakhand the Sainya Dham - fifth dham after the traditional Char Dhams -- Rawat in 2019 had announced that the state government will set up a Sainya Dham in Dehradun.
- A police team has been deployed in the village to ward off any fresh trouble. The police have also initiated an investigation to nab all the accused.
- Some leaders and political experts even described Modi’s visit as an exercise to woo Bengali voters on whom Bose’s ideology has great influence even after 76 years of his mysterious disappearance.
- With the scheme, nearly 5 million CAPF personnel and their families can avail cashless medical treatment.