Philippine police rescue abducted Indian
Philippine police rescued an Indian businessman on Tuesday after a raid and gunfight at a house east of Manila that left one suspected abductor dead.
Gunmen had seized moneylender Karnail Singh Chahal on Monday near his home in suburban Marikina city and demanded 5 million pesos ($94,000) as ransom, Metropolitan Manila police chief Vidal Querol said.
Three other suspected abductors, one an Indian citizen, were arrested on Tuesday after the gunbattle in Rizal province's San Mateo town, 20 kilometres northeast of Manila.
Querol said the three suspects detained were undergoing interrogation.
Last week, abductors freed unharmed a 49-year-old Chinese-Filipino businessman, who had been abducted in Manila's Chinatown district on January 12, after his family reportedly paid a ransom.
Officials said police were continuing to track down the Chinatown abductors, believed to be rogue police officers.
President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo ordered police to curb kidnappings, which have mostly targeted wealthy ethnic Chinese, and have been cited as a factor driving away foreign investors.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- A candidate questioned by MPPEB allowed a tainted company to conduct the exam. The same company was blacklisted by UP after a question paper of recruitment exam for sub-inspectors got leaked in 2017, he alleged.
- Justice Gautam Patel on Tuesday heard a defamation suit filed by model and actor Sakshi Malik against Venkateshwara Creations Pvt Ltd for allegedly using her photograph without permission in their movie.
- With today’s vaccination, the President joins the ranks of statesmen and politicians who have gotten vaccinated since the second phase of vaccination started on March 1.
- The Chief Minister appealed to all eligible people to come forward and get themselves vaccinated.
- The amendment also empowers the Central government to auction mines, which the states have failed to auction. Of the 143 such mines listed for auctioning, states have auctioned only 7 since 2015, the amendment said.
- Here are today’s top news, analysis, and opinion. Know all about the latest news and other news updates from Hindustan Times.