PM meeting with PMK puts Cong in a spot
Though it has vowed to back the UPA in the trust vote, the PMK, led by Health Minister Anbumani Ramadoss, on Wednesday brought its bitter tussle with the DMK to the Prime Minister’s table.
The southern ally, which has six MPs, asked the PM to bring pressure on Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi to free one of its MLAs, J. Guru, who was arrested under the National Security Act.
The DMK had broken off ties recently with the PMK, citing utterances of Guru who had alleged threatened some DMK leaders.
The issue could snowball if the Centre fails to brings any pressure on the DMK in Tamil Nadu. The Congress cannot irritate the DMK, which has 16 MPs, including former Union Minister Dayanidhi Maran who wishes to abstain.
DMK leaders believe that the PMK’s drama in the Capital is only a prelude to it eventually drifting towards the AIADMK. In fact, Central DMK ministers were not happy that the PMK managed to gain audience with the PM at short notice.
On the other hand, the PMK leaders claimed that the PM gave a “sympathetic hearing”. He promised to redress their grievances against the DMK regime — at least after the trust vote.
“This has nothing to do with the confidence motion. We have completely assured the Central government of our support on the nuclear deal. In our party resolution, we have unanimously stated that we will support the Congress-led government at the Centre,” said Ramadoss.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- All ten vaccination centres across the city sported colourful curtains and were decorated with flowers. Some centres at BYL Nair hospital and Covid-19 jumbo centre at Bandra Kurla Complex also placed selfie spots with ‘I got my Covid-19 vaccine’ message in the backdrop.
- In its response, BKU-Lokshakti through its advocate AP Singh told the Court that the Delhi Police application was unnecessary as Section 144 of Criminal Procedure Code is already in place in central Delhi which restricts gathering of five or more persons.
- The health ministry on Saturday said that close to 200,000 people were vaccinated on Day 1 of the drive.
- The Santacruz station of the Indian Meteorological Department (IMD) recorded a minimum temperature of 16.6 degrees Celsius, a degree below normal. This is the second lowest minimum temperature recorded this season following a mercury drop to 16 degrees Celsius on December 22 last year.
- The DoPT is the nodal ministry for the CBI and any administrative action against Class-I gazetted officers (DSPs) is approved by it while the CBI Director has powers to suspend Inspectors and below rank officers.
- The CM said that policies have been simplified and they would be further eased to help those wanting to contribute to Bihar’s progress in different ways.
- Billed as Asia’s oldest and India’s biggest festival, IFFI is being held in Goa since 2004. This year the festival will open with the Indian premiere of the movie ‘Another Round’ by Thomas Vinterberg.