Political leaders greet the nation on Eid-ul-fitr
Eid-ul-fitr was celebrated across the country on Tuesday as Muslims marked the end of the holy month of Ramadan.
Political leaders took the opportunity to extend their greetings to the people.
President Pranab Mukherjee on Tuesday greeted the nation on the occasion.
In his message to the people, Mukherjee said, "On the auspicious occasion of Eid-ul-fitr, I extend warm greetings and good wishes to all fellow citizens, particularly to my Muslim brothers and sisters in India and abroad."
"As we celebrate this day which marks the end of the holy month of Ramzan, I hope that the festival with its tradition of giving and sharing enriches our lives with a spirit of brotherhood and empathy for the deprived," he added.
He further said, "May Eid-ul-fitr reinforce the nation's commitment to mutual harmony and radiate the message of India's composite culture to the whole world."
Prime Minister Narendra Modi also sent out his greetings.
"Greetings on Eid-ul-fitr. May this auspicious day strengthen the bond of peace, unity and brotherhood across our nation," he said in a tweet.
Vice-president Hamid Ansari greeted Bhartiya Janta Party (BJP) leader Shahnawaz Hussain and Congress leader Ghulam Nabi Azad on the occasion of Eid.
Ansari said, "It's a day of happiness, everyone should celebrate it together."
Extending greetings of the festival, Shahnawaz Hussain said, "I hope this Eid brings happiness to everyone, it is a day for everyone to come together."
Congress president Sonia Gandhi extended her greetings to the nation. "Congress president Sonia Gandhi extends her greetings to the nation on the auspicious occasion of Eid-Ul-Fitr," the party said in a message.
Lucknow Eidgah Imam Maulana Khalid Rasheed Firangi Mahali had on Monday confirmed that the Eid-ul-fitr moon had been sighted on Monday evening.
Ramzan, the ninth month of the Islamic lunar calendar, is observed as a fasting period by Muslims who abstain from food and water from sunrise to sunset and it culminates in Eid-ul-Fitr celebrations.
The month honours the Angel Gabriel's revelation of the Koran, the holy scripture of Islam, to the Prophet Mohammed about 1,400 years ago.
During Ramadan, Muslims offer special prayers called Taraweeh at the end of their usual five-times prayers.
(With inputs from PTI, ANI and IANS)
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- A police team has been deployed in the village to ward off any fresh trouble. The police have also initiated an investigation to nab all the accused.
- Some leaders and political experts even described Modi’s visit as an exercise to woo Bengali voters on whom Bose’s ideology has great influence even after 76 years of his mysterious disappearance.
- With the scheme, nearly 5 million CAPF personnel and their families can avail cashless medical treatment.
- The scheme aims at reduction in livelihood vulnerabilities of the urban poor including migrant labourers and informal workers.
- Presently, over 5,000 cases are pending with the Tribunal of which the bulk of matters arise out of proceedings under PMLA.
- Gandhi is on a tour of the western belt where he will next visit Erode, Tiruppur, Karur and Dindigul districts to meet farmers, weavers and youngsters.
- This Goa-Agra-Delhi flight was earlier expected to begin on January 16 but was rescheduled for January 23. The plane halted for 35 minutes and then flew for Delhi at 12.15 pm with four passengers.