Ten killed, 13 hurt in southwest Pakistan blasts | india | Hindustan Times
  • Tuesday, Jun 19, 2018
  •   °C  
Today in New Delhi, India
Jun 19, 2018-Tuesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Ten killed, 13 hurt in southwest Pakistan blasts

Three civilians were killed and seven injured in two back-to-back bomb explosions.

india Updated: Apr 02, 2006 19:11 IST

Ten people including five tribal police were killed and 13 injured in separate bomb blasts on Sunday in the restive southwestern Pakistani province of Baluchistan, officials said.

Three civilians -- a man, a woman and a young girl -- were killed and seven injured in two back-to-back bomb explosions at a state-run farm in the town of Kohlu, 300 kilometres east of Quetta, a security official said.

The official had earlier said that two paramilitary soldiers were killed in the blast.

"Initial reports had indicated that two paramilitary soldiers were killed, but later the dead were identified as three civilians," the official said, on condition of anonymity.

He blamed the attack on tribal militants who have waged a sporadic revolt in recent years in mineral-rich but sparsely populated Baluchistan.

Five tribal policemen and a private security official guarding an oil and gas exploration site were killed and four injured in a landmine explosion in the desert region of Sunny in remote Bolan district, tribal police official major Mohammed Anjum said.

A tractor driver was killed and two others injured in Naseerabad district when a tractor-trailer hit a landmine on Sunday, police official Khalid Magsi said.

Paramilitary forces also Sunday defused a remote-controlled bomb planted on a main railway line near Mach station a couple of hours before two passenger trains were to pass the spot, a paramilitary commander said.

Tribal chieftains say they are fighting for more political rights and a greater share of profits from the region's natural resources.

Some 8,000 opposition party activists Sunday held a rally in the provincial capital Quetta, demanding an end to military operations in the province.

"We will not negotiate with the government until our workers are released from prisons and torture cells and the military operation is stopped," Akhtar Mengal, chief of the Baluchistan National Party, told the rally.