New mothers, rejoice. Here are 5 hacks to make breastfeeding more convenient
Motherhood comes with a mixed bag of emotions, right from the feeling of excitement to the fear of doing the right thing. Since your baby is completely dependent on you, it becomes more difficult and pressurising on the part of the mother to fulfill all the needs of the baby. Feeding a baby is one of the most important tasks that needs the most attention.
According to WHO, the nutrition during the first years of life are crucial for the life-long health of the baby. That’s why doctors recommend the policy of breastfeeding for the initial six months. However, due to many physiological and external factors like inverted/ sore nipples, severe backache due to repetitive feeding, low milk production or shying about nursing in public, the new mothers may not be able to feed the child properly.
Considering the importance of breastfeeding, the booming mother and baby care industry in India has a lot to offer for the lactating mothers to make this process easier and comfortable.
1) Silicone Nipple shields: An effective solution for lactating mothers who have issues like flat or inverted nipples, the shield is an ultra-thin device that is placed over the nipples to make the process of breastfeeding easier. It also helps premature babies who cannot be fed easily. These nipple shields are easy to use and serve their purpose effectively.
2) Breast Pumps: These breast pumps help to extract the mother’s milk which is then fed to the baby through the sipper. However, it is important to maintain hygiene during the process. Wash your hands before extracting the milk. Also, make sure that the breast pumps are thoroughly cleaned and sterilised every time you use them.
3) Nursing Bra: Gone are the times when women do not have any option but to change every time they feed their baby. The nursing bras support the growing breasts at the time of pregnancy and lactation. The common features include wide straps, extra soft lining, no underwire and some extra hooks.
4) Wipes: Right from cleaning the breast pumps to wiping the baby, these wipes are a great way to maintain hygiene. The market is full of bleach/alcohol-free wipes that are skin-friendly.
5) Nursing Covers: Available in cotton fabric with a broad neckline, the nursing wrap allows the mother to have a direct eye contact with the baby while he is being fed. The nursing covers allow ventilation and are easy to clean, maintain and store.
Follow @htlifeandstyle for more.